- "Target Analyzed – No match to rebel database. Resume patrol mode."
- ―V0-RK's stored memory from Jedha
V0-RK was a Viper probe droid that served the Galactic Empire and took part in the effort to locate the secret base of the Alliance to Restore the Republic after the Battle of Yavin during the Galactic Civil War. The probe droid traveled to and analyzed parts of the moon Jedha but failed to locate the base there.
By 34 ABY, the droid had crashed on the planet Batuu, where its captured parts were displayed on a wall in the Service Yard outside the Droid Depot in Black Spire Outpost. The traveler Dyyl requested that a visitor to Black Spire Outpost locate the droid and retrieve a star map from it to help him navigate his way to the planet Bespin.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Search for the rebel base[edit | edit source]
Manufactured by Arakyd Industries, the Viper probe droid V0-RK served the Galactic Empire during its reign and was used for deep-space exploration and reconnaissance. During the Galactic Civil War, it was one of many probe droids that the Empire deployed in hyperspace pods to search the galaxy for the headquarters of the Alliance to Restore the Republic as part of Project Swarm after the Battle of Yavin.
V0-RK was sent to the moon Jedha, where it entered patrol mode while analyzing potential locations of the base. The droid stored one such image analysis of a group of pilgrims on Jedha, which included the mechanic Gavra Ubrento and a member of the Disciples of the Whills. Ultimately, the base was discovered by another probe droid on the planet Hoth in 3 ABY.
Bad times on Batuu[edit | edit source]
- "I heard there's a downed probe droid somewhere around the Outpost that has the map locked away in its databank. Can you retrieve it for me?"
- ―Dyyl asks for help locating V0-RK
V0-RK later traveled to the planet Batuu, where it was captured by local Batuuans after impacting a rock wall along a pathway on the edge of Black Spire Outpost near the Droid Depot. During the First Order occupation of Batuu in 34 ABY, broken parts of the probe droid were displayed in the Service Yard of the Droid Depot, ready for repair. V0-RK's head was separated from its body, with both pieces hanging in netting above the depot's droid repair station.
During the occupation, the human traveler Dyyl posted a request for help with locating a star map in Black Spire Outpost, as he needed to travel to the planet Bespin, but his navigation computer was not functioning properly. When a visitor to the outpost responded to the request, Dyyl directed the individual to find V0-RK, as he believed the droid was carrying the star map he needed. The visitor successfully recovered a map from V0-RK showing a portion of the galaxy's Western Reaches and then sent it to Dyyl via datapad in exchange for 150 credits.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
V0-RK first appeared as a prop within the themed land Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, which opened to guests at Disneyland Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios Park in 2019. The droid simultaneously appeared in the Star Wars: Datapad application launched alongside the themed land. The large crater that marks where V0-RK is meant to have landed on Batuu is only present in Disney's Hollywood Studios, not Disneyland.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Service Yard (First appearance, simultaneous with Star Wars: Datapad)
- Star Wars: Datapad – "V0-RK" (Screenshots: 1, 2) (First appearance, simultaneous with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge)
- Star Wars: Datapad – "Looking for Directions" (Screenshots: 1) (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Star Wars Book dates the Battle of Batuu, which is depicted in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge via the attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, to thirty-four years after Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Given that Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of A New Hope to 0 BBY, the events of Galaxy's Edge must take place in 34 ABY. As Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Service Yard shows V0-RK's separate parts during the events of Galaxy's Edge, the probe droid must have been destroyed by that date.
- Star Wars: Datapad – "V0-RK" (Screenshots: 1, 2)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia states that Viper probe droids are fourth class droids. Furthermore, Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded states that Viper probe droids stand 1.6 meters (5 feet, 3 inches) tall. As V0-RK is stated to be a Viper probe droid in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, it must share these characteristics.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Service Yard
- Service Yard has official backstory elements that, while not directly published for the public, are officially canon details that can be obtained verbally from cast members working in the area.
- Doctor Aphra 37
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Datapad – "Looking for Directions" (Screenshots: 1)