- "The world I came up with, that I'm pushing, is you are ‘the visitor’—the visitor in this story that’s happening around you that you may have some effect on. You can pick up things, you can open things, you can push things. You can walk and touch characters. Imagine being in a movie."
- ―David S. Goyer
Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series is a three-part VR experience created by ILMxLAB that involves Darth Vader. It was written by David S. Goyer, who had previously acted as a writer for the The Dark Knight trilogy. According to Tim Alexander, the supervisor of ILMxLAB, they came up with the idea when deciding how to best expand the Star Wars universe, with Vader being the first one to come up. The first episode, Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series – Episode I, launched on May 21, 2019 on the Oculus Quest.
The project was first announced at Celebration Europe in 2016. On September 25, 2018, ILMxLAB teased the project on their Facebook and Instagram accounts, followed the next day by the release of a teaser trailer. Later that day, The Star Wars Show confirmed that the series is to take place between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
The series had a panel at Celebration Chicago on April 12, 2019, featuring the developers, including writer David S. Goyer, and an exclusive interactive preview of the series' first installment. According to Ben Snow, the plot point involving Vader using a mercenary to find an artifact to bridge the gap between life and death was derived in part from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and would also add layers to Vader's character.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- People Magazine Collector's Edition: The Secrets of Rogue One
- First look inside the Star Wars virtual reality experience Vader Immortal. Entertainment Weekly (2019-05-07). Archived from the original on June 19, 2020. Retrieved on May 8, 2019.
- Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire. Mon Mothma, who is mentioned in Secrets of the Empire, became actively involved in what became the Alliance to Restore the Republic after the events of Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo", meaning that Secrets of the Empire and Vader Immortal must take place after "Secret Cargo", which Star Wars: On the Front Lines places in 2 BBY. Furthermore, states that Vader Immortal takes place prior to Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the events of which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 0 BBY, meaning that Vader Immortal must take place between these two years. states that Vader Immortal is set days after
- Houghton, Rianne (September 25, 2018). Star Wars teases mysterious Darth Vader-related virtual reality project. digitalspy.com. Archived from the original on March 20, 2020.
- Hart, Ben (2019-07-18). Emmys Nominate 'Star Wars Resistance' And 'Vader Immortal' For Awards. starwarsunderworld.com. Archived from the original on December 6, 2019.
- Untitled Goose Game Nabs Game Of The Year At The 2020 Game Developers Choice Awards!. Game Developers Conference (2020-03-18). Archived from the original on March 20, 2020. Retrieved on March 20, 2020.
[edit | edit source]
- David Goyer on the 'Star Wars: Vader Immortal' VR Experience and Adding a New Side to the Legendary Villain [Interview] on Slashfilm (Backup link)