The Vakbeor-class was envisioned a combination of basic anti-pirate defenses with an extensive cargo capacity. Its light armament was made up of four laser cannons; it also boasted two tractor beam projectors.
After the bankruptcy of Gallofree Yards, Inc., the Galactic Empire engineered the company's takeover by Kuat Drive Yards. KDY coupled existing Gallofree designs with elements of its own Nebulon frigate line to create the Vakbeor-class. The new design would fare poorly on the galactic starship market, with many of them being dumped on the secondary market. Despite its initial role as an anti-pirate freighter, it became popular with pirate bands.
One ship, the Vigil, was used by pirates until it was captured by the Resistance, a New Republic-sponsored paramilitary group, in a battle off the Chadrison Shoals. The Vigil participated in the evacuation of D'Qar and the attack on the Resistance fleet where it was subsequently destroyed by a barrage of fire from First Order starships.
During the mission to Batuu, several Vakbeor-class cargo frigates were part of a fleet that engaged First Order Star Destroyers above Batuu in a large space battle. One cargo frigate broadsided a Star Destroyer where Resistance recruits were attempting to escape, but was soon destroyed by a barrage of laser fire from the Star Destroyer.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Vakbeor-class cargo frigate appears in the 2017 Star Wars saga film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi. According to Jason Fry, the vessel's class was named after the microanimal Tardigrade, or vac-bear, which his son fell in love with as a child.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 1
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 2
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Rise of the Resistance
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as Vakbeor-class cargo frigate)
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Rise of the Resistance
- ↑ Adams, Nicholas (January 15, 2018). The Last Jedi Incredible Cross-Sections – An Interview with Jason Fry (English). Eleven Thirty-Eight. Archived from the original on January 20, 2018. Retrieved on August 13, 2019. ""For the Vigil I leaned into its odd hybrid look, carrying that through into the story of its creation and giving us a fun anecdote about a pirate battle to boot. The class name is kind of a funny story – I called it a Tardigrade class, after a weird little animal my son fell in love with as a small child. DK kicked that name back because they didn’t want to use a real-world animal as a ship class, which I agreed with. So I came up with a gussied-up version of “vacuum bear” – Vakbeor — as a replacement, thinking I’d sub in something else later. By the time I got around to it, I’d decided I kinda liked Vakbeor and let it stand.""