- "We lost our whole division that day. Man, that was like 5-10,000 people."
"Yep. All heroes to the Empire."
- ―Migs Mayfeld, and Valin Hess
A division of the Galactic Empire's army, numbering 5,000-10,000 soldiers, was led by General Valin Hess during the Empire's reign. Following the death of Emperor Sheev Palpatine in 4 ABY, the genocidal Operation: Cinder was initiated throughout the Empire's military. During the campaign, Hess's division participated in an attack on the planet Burnin Konn. The soldiers fought in a city which had resisted the Empire. But during the fighting, Hess chose to destroy the entire city, sacrificing nearly all of his men.
The Imperial sharpshooter Migs Mayfeld survived the massacre and eventually parted from the Empire, having lost many friends in the division. In 9 ABY, Mayfeld crossed paths with Hess again while undercover in an Imperial refinery on the planet Morak. The pair discussed the loss of their division, and the general bragged about the destruction he caused. Still angry about the loss of his comrades, Mayfeld shot Hess and fled the refinery with his accomplice, Din Djarin.
Behind the scenes
Valin Hess's division was first mentioned in "Chapter 15: The Believer" of Jon Favreau's live-action Disney+ series The Mandalorian, which was directed by Rick Famuyiwa and released on December 11, 2020.
- Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 2 Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 15: The Believer" (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia, Updated and Expanded Edition (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 15: The Believer"
- In the events of "Chapter 15: The Believer," which took place in 9 ABY per the reasoning here, it is established that Valin Hess's division was lost during Operation: Cinder, which was carried out after the Emperor's death according to Alphabet Squadron. Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Emperor's death to 4 ABY, it can be deduced that the division was destroyed between that year and 9 ABY.
- Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia, Updated and Expanded Edition
- Alphabet Squadron
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Uprising
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 6: The Prisoner"
- "A Certain Point of View" – Star Wars Insider 202 dates the skirmish on Nevarro and the second rescue of Grogu—which are depicted in the The Mandalorian episodes "Chapter 7: The Reckoning" and "Chapter 16: The Rescue," respectively—to "9 ASW4," or nine years after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 9 ABY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. The events of Chapters 7–16 must therefore take place in 9 ABY.