- "Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to declare the Valo Republic Fair open. This is our Republic, my friends, our family. The spirit of progress. The spirit of democracy. The spirit of unity."
- ―Lina Soh
The Valo Republic Fair was a Republic Fair held on the planet Valo around 231 BBY. The first Fair to be held in a generation, Supreme Chancellor Lina Soh intended the festival as a way for the Galactic Republic and the galaxy to show they had recovered after the devastation of the Great Hyperspace Disaster and its subsequent Emergences the year prior. Lonisa City, Valo's capital, was transformed for the festivities, with a new spaceport constructed and the city extensively renovated and refurbished. Soh invited Elarec Yovet, the regasa of the Togruta species, as an honoured guest, and members of the Jedi Order also extensively participated. Much of the fair's planning was directed by Coordinator Samera Ra-oon. However, the Nihil, who had spent much of the time since the Battle of Kur regrouping, attacked the Fair the day after it opened, resulting in much death and destruction.
Behind the scenes
- "Think the World Fair for the Republic. It's right out there on the frontier. It's showing all the great things that happen in the Republic. It's a chance to see the excitement, the new technologies available. And this is Star Wars, so things happen."
- ―Cavan Scott
The Valo Republic Fair was created as part of the Star Wars: The High Republic publishing initiative, featuring in its second wave of content, primarily the novels The High Republic: The Rising Storm, written by Cavan Scott, and The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower, written by Daniel José Older and illustrated by Petur Antonsson, both published on June 29, 2021.
The Rising Storm describes the Valo Republic Fair as the first to be held in a generation, which conflicts with a mention in The High Republic: A Test of Courage of twelve-year-old Avon Starros having gone on rides at a past iteration of the Fair.
- The High Republic 8 (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm (First appearance, simultaneous with The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook, The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower, and The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower audiobook)
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook
- The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower
- The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower audiobook
- The High Republic: Showdown at the Fair
- The High Republic Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2021 (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- The High Republic: Trail of Shadows 2 (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Midnight Horizon (Mentioned only)
- "Starlight: Past Mistakes"—Star Wars Insider 205–206 (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Tempest Runner (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic 9 (Mentioned only) (In flashback(s))
- The High Republic: Mission to Disaster (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic 12 (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- The High Republic: The Fallen Star (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm
- The Star Wars Book dates the launch of the Starlight Beacon to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 232 BBY in the dating system used by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As The High Republic: The Rising Storm takes place nearly a year after The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, which depicts the launch, its events, including the Valo Fair, must occur around 231 BBY.
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage