- "Steelpeckers search for vanadium, osmiridium, and corundum which they store in their gizzards so you want to stay away from parts with concentrations of those—such as gyroscopic equipment or focusing arrays that have been exposed to intense heat."
- ―Rey in her survival guide of Jakku
Vanadium was a metal was found in gyroscopic equipment and focusing arrays that had been exposed to intense heat. The metal, found on the planet Jakku, was consumed by steelpeckers and collected in their gizzards to aid with digestion. When combined in their gizzards with the materials corundum and osmiridium, vanadium formed a chemical that helped break down a steelpecker's metal food.
During the New Republic Era, the Jakkuvian scavenger Rey wrote about the steelpecker birds' affinity for the metal in her survival guide and warned future scavengers of Jakku's Starship Graveyard to avoid parts that contained high concentrations of it so they would not encounter them.
Behind the scenesEdit
Vanadium was first mentioned in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary by Pablo Hidalgo and the replica journal Rey's Survival Guide by Jason Fry, both released on December 18, 2015 in conjunction with the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First mentioned, simultaneous with Rey's Survival Guide)
- Rey's Survival Guide (First mentioned, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- Vanadium on Wikipedia