- "Nok Drayen was the greatest gangster who ever lived. He personally wiped out the Rath Cartel and the Vandelhelm Combine during the Syndicate Wars."
- ―Risha Drayen
The Vandelhelm Combine was a criminal organization active at the time of the Great Galactic War between the Galactic Republic and the reconstituted Sith Empire. Considered an upstart by its rival, the Rath Cartel, the Combine was in the business of smuggling weapons and hired mercenaries in its efforts to compete with the Cartel.
However, sometime between 3667 BBY and 3661 BBY, the fighting—which became known as the Syndicate Wars—spilled over into a trade corridor controlled by the notorious gangster Nok Drayen, who swiftly retaliated against both groups in order to protect his profits; Drayen called in favors from Gank mercenaries, Hutts, and officials from the Sith Empire to destroy them. The Syndicate Wars ultimately ended when Drayen had the leader of the Rath Cartel assassinated while simultaneously storming the Combine's headquarters, and Drayen took all of their profits for himself in the aftermath.
Behind the scenes
The Vandelhelm Combine was first mentioned in several companion conversations in the 2011 video game Star Wars: The Old Republic. The Combine shares its name with the planet Vandelhelm; however, the 2004 Wizards.com article "Vandelhelm: Enemies and Alloys: Part 1: File Vandelhelm-LC/hsnn" establishes that the planet was not discovered until approximately 3053 BBY, six hundred years after the Syndicate Wars.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Codex entry)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan—Codex: "Galactic History 91: The Syndicate Wars"
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan—Codex: "Galactic History 91: The Syndicate Wars" is part of the Galactic History series of Codex entries, which are ordered chronologically, and is placed between the entries on the Battle of Alderaan and the blockade of the Hydian Way. The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural places those two events at fourteen and eight years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, respectively; therefore, since Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia dates the latter event to 3653 BBY, the Syndicate Wars must have occurred at some point between 3667 BBY and 3661 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Smuggler Mission: "Race the Devil" on Coruscant
- states that Vandelhelm was discovered 22,000 years after the founding of the Galactic Republic, which Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia dates to 25,053 BBY. Thus, Vandelhelm was discovered in approximately 3053 BBY.