- "No. That's……Willard's ship."
- ―Leia Organa, on witnessing the attack on Willard's cruiser
Following the mutiny on Mon Cala, General Vanden Willard captained a Mon Calamari cruiser. The cruiser was destroyed, along with its crew, when the Galactic Empire's Death Squadron attacked the Rebel Alliance's Mako-Ta Space Docks.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
- "Shields! All power to shields!"
"There's not enough. We're losing them."
- ―Vanden Willard, and a crewmember
As a cruiser of Mon Calamari design, General Vanden Willard's cruiser was equipped with a hyperdrive, a deflector shield generator, and thirteen engines. It was among various other vessels of the Rebel Alliance to undergo combat refits at the Mako-Ta Space Docks, with technology and equipment provided by the Kingdom of Shu-Torun.
Role[edit | edit source]
- "No problems in Delta Group."
- ―Vanden Willard, calling in from his cruiser
History[edit | edit source]
Service[edit | edit source]
- "The nearest cruiser. Destroy it."
- ―Darth Vader, to Admiral Kendal Ozzel
After the mutiny on Mon Cala and the completion of its combat conversion, the ship and other vessels of the Alliance Fleet were to disperse from the rest of the rebel's fleet until it was needed to fight against the Empire. It was assigned to Willard and was present at the Mako-Ta Space Docks during a ceremony celebrating the new Alliance Fleet and to witness the dispersal of the rebel naval forces. During the ceremony, Willard invited Princess Leia Organa to his cruiser, but she turned down the request, preferring to be with Chancellor Mon Mothma just in case she was needed.
As the ships were ready to launch into hyperspace, an error prevented the launch of the cruiser. The fault resulted in the failure of all launches, lost communications and the ships being unable to launch their starfighters. At the same time, Death Squadron, under the command of Darth Vader, arrived and fired on the nearest cruiser, Willard's starship.
Destruction[edit | edit source]
- "Quickly, abandon ship! May the Force be with us al—"
- ―Vanden Willard's final words as his ship is destroyed
As Willard's cruiser was attacked by the Executor and an accompanying Imperial-class Star Destroyer, Mothma, Organa, General Davits Draven, and other rebel personnel watched on in horror from the base. Consistently pummeled by laser fire, Willard ordered all power to be routed to the deflector shields, but a crewmember stated that they were quickly losing them. In response, Willard ordered that the ship be abandoned, but the ship was quickly annihilated as Willard told his crew that may the Force be with them all.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars 50 (First appearance)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars 50
- Star Wars 49
- According to Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition, the Assault on the Mako-Ta Space Docks occurred around a year after the Battle of Yavin. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas establishes that the battle marks the beginning of 0 ABY, the Assault, including the destruction of Vanden Willard's cruiser, must take place around 1 ABY.