Vandor, also known as Vandor-1 or ID 53-80, was a cold frontier planet in the Sloo sector of the galaxy's Mid Rim. Despite being sparsely settled, the Galactic Empire had a growing presence on the planet. Fort Ypso was a snowy mountain village located on Vandor.
A cold mountainous planet located in the Sloo sector of the Mid Rim, Vandor, sometimes known as Vandor-1 or ID 53-80, The terrestrial planet orbited at least one star, with its years lasting for 435 days, had two moons, a breathable atmosphere, and a diameter of 12,500 kilometers.
After Imperial stormtroopers captured Lando Calrissian's ship, the Millennium Falcon, they took it to be impounded on Vandor. A week later, Calrissian and his droid L3-37 arrived on Vandor, discovering the Falcon's location. Planning to rescue his ship, Calrissian decided to bide his time by playing a game of sabacc in the Lodge, using credits he had received from completing a recent mission.
At the same time, Tobias Beckett and his crew had also landed on Vandor to carry out a heist on an Imperial conveyex train, in order to acquire coaxium for Dryden Vos and Crimson Dawn. They were assisted by Han Solo and Chewbacca, who had escaped Mimban on Beckett's stolen Y-45 armored transport hauler. The heist ultimately failed due to the interference of Enfys Nest's Cloud-Riders, who also attempted to steal the coaxium, leading Solo to drop the cargo in order to save the survivors of Beckett's crew.
After Vos' yacht First Light traveled to Vandor to personally meet Beckett, the crew planned a second mission to Kessel so they could retrieve coaxium to replace the cargo lost during the heist. Needing a ship that was fast enough to make the Kessel Run, the crew visited the Lodge, where they met Calrissian. At the Lodge, Solo joined a game of sabacc against Calrissian, hoping to win the Millennium Falcon. However, Calrissian's cheating led Solo to lose against him, but he eventually agreed to take Beckett's crew to Kessel aboard his ship.
Vandor was sparsely settled, lacking the technological infrastructure that was present on other worlds. The Galactic Empire had begun to have a presence on Vandor, however, transporting cargo across the planet's mountains with conveyex trains.
The terrain of Vandor was made up of various mountains, including Mount Vastadon, Mount Redolava, and the Iridium Mountains, which contained the Crispin Imperial Depository. The planet was also home to the village of Fort Ypso, which contained the Lodge, a saloon with a gambling hall and a droid-fighting arena. Other locations on Vandor included Big Rock, Corubalni Spaceport, Corubalni Pass, and the Spinnaker Trail.
Behind the scenes
Vandor was created for the 2018 Star Wars film Solo: A Star Wars Story. The first footage of the planet was shown in the "Big Game" Super Bowl TV spot released on February 4, 2018. It was later also identified as Vandor-1, a planet that was first mentioned in Coruscant and the Core Worlds, a 2003 sourcebook for the now-Legends Star Wars Roleplaying Game. In Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide, Vandor is placed in the Mid Rim, rather than in the Core Worlds.
Early inspirations for the look of Vandor in Solo came from art of the American West by late-19th-century painter Frederic Remington, particularly the 1906 painting A Taint on the Wind, and the 20th-century illustrator Robert McGinnis. Another inspiration for Vandor were the lavish landscapes of the American West by the 19th-century painters Frederick Church and Albert Bierstadt. The environment of Vandor was designed to evoke the landscape of southern Colorado's rocky mountains, as intended by screenwriter Jon Kasdan, who believed that it fit with the space-western feeling he and the film's crew tried to evoke.
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: The Rising Storm audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Meet the Crew
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Train Heist
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 2
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 3
- Lando - Double or Nothing 5
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Han and Chewie - A Lifelong Partnership"
- Star Wars Adventures: Tales from Vader's Castle 3 (Mentioned only) (In flashback(s))
- "Fake It Till You Make It"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars (2020) 13 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "The Chase with Han/Escape with Chewbacca" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Dealing with Lando/Han and Chewie Strike Back"
Notes and references
- Solo: A Star Wars Story soars on this week's EW cover (backup link)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: New images and insight (backup link)