- "We joined an Alliance, not a suicide pact!"
- ―Vasp Vaspar
Vasp Vaspar was a human male politician who represented the Taldot sector in the Imperial Senate. He was also a member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic and served as the Minister of Industry in the Alliance Cabinet, part of the Alliance Civil Government. Though he was risk averse, he was not opposed to armed conflict—but he did not believe the Alliance was capable of destroying the Empire's planet-killing Death Star.
Vasp Vaspar was a politician who represented the Taldot sector in the Imperial Senate during the reign of the Galactic Empire. He was known to oppose Emperor Palpatine's harshest policies. By 3 BBY, Vaspar was a regular attendee of banquets hosted on Alderaan by Bail and Breha Organa, the viceroy and queen of the planet, which secretly served as planning meetings for rebellion against the Empire.
While continuing to serve in the Imperial government, he was also a member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic and served in its Civil Government as the Minister of Industry. This made him part of the Alliance Cabinet under the leadership of its Chief of State, Chancellor Mon Mothma. As part of his role, he attended classified Alliance Cabinet meetings concerning topics such as the Death Star and Operation Fracture.
As Minister of Industry, Vaspar was charged with overseeing the vital yet limited resources of the fledgling Rebel Alliance. As a result of his role, he was more risk-averse than some of his fellow Alliance Cabinet members, though he was not opposed to open conflict with the Empire when warranted. However, when the Alliance learned of the Death Star, an Imperial superweapon capable of destroying entire planets, he did not believe that the Alliance could be successful in an attack against the battle station.
Personality and traitsEdit
Vaspar expressed deep concerns about the safety of Yavin 4 due to the wildlife there, and was noted to have repeatedly asked for a personal force field. Mon Mothma tried her best to assuage his worries, but told her aide to have discretion on when to say "no" to his requests for an audience, which weren't always as important as Vaspar claimed.
Behind the scenesEdit
Vasp Vaspar was a character created for the 2016 anthology film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. In the film, he is played by Swedish-Lebanese actor Fares Fares. The character's repetitive first name was inspired by similar redundancy in the actor's name.
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One Adaptation 4
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Vasp)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places Leia Organa's birth at 19 BBY. The events of Leia, Princess of Alderaan commence just after Organa's sixteenth birthday, which places the events of the novel in 3 BBY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (November 21, 2016). 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' - 15 new photos!. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on November 21, 2016.
- ↑ screenshot) (
- Breznican, Anthony (November 21, 2016). 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' - 15 new photos!. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on November 21, 2016. (First identified as Vaspar)