- "I'm not running away, whatever the danger. Please let us fight with you."
Vastil was a Human male who lived on the Outer Rim planet of Tatooine during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. A native of the settlement Espelar, he joined the Citizens' Militia to defend the area from attack. When a Republic-allied individual offered to train the new recruits, Vastil accompanied the individual against the native Tusken Raiders in the area, and also to rescue a group of militiamen from the militia's Manister Base. The base had been overrun by a hive of Geonosians, a species from the nearby planet Geonosis, and the recruits helped get the injured militia members to safety while individual held off the enemy. Thanks to the Republic individual's training and his own bravery, Vastil was fully inducted into the militia.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Excuse me, sir. Thought you might like a break from watch duty."
"I'm not tired yet. There's someone here you should meet. This here's Vastil. Good soldier, but no tactical know-how. He's heading up our new squad of recruits."
- ―Junter Galt introduces Vastil to the trainer
A male Human, Vastil lived on the Outer Rim planet of Tatooine during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. He was a native of Espelar, a settlement in the northern Jundland Wastes region just south of the city of Anchorhead. In the year 3643 BBY, Vastil joined the Espelar branch of the Citizens' Militia, the regional militia.
Not long after Vastil joined the militia, a Republic-allied individual was sent by the former Jedi Galen Besk to stop Imperial saboteurs from destroying Espelar's trading post. The individual defeated the saboteurs and traveled to Espelar itself, where they spoke with Mayor Airen. Airen asked them to talk to Junter Galt, the head of the Espelar branch of the militia, and the individual offered to help train the new recruits. The individual led Vastil and two other recruits into the Wastes, where they fought the native Tusken Raiders to increase the recruits' combat skills.
When the group returned to Espelar, they received a distress call from Cole Darba. A member of the militia, Darba and his men had been stationed at Manister Base to the south, which had been overrun by a hive of Geonosians from the nearby planet Geonosis. The individual led Vastil and the others to Manister, where they found Darba and his men holed up in one of the base's buildings. Many of Darba's forces were injured, and Darba didn't believe that they would be able to withstand another assault. When the individual told Darba that they would push back the Geonosians while the militiamen fled to Outpost Largona to the south, Vastil thought that he and his men should stay behind and help. However, the individual knew that Vastil was still inexperienced, and that he would likely die in the attack, so they refused to let the recruit help.
While the individual drove back the Geonosians from around the building and recovered what was left of the base's supplies, Vastil and Darba led the remaining militia to Outpost Largona. The group headed to the settlement's medcenter, where the injured were treated by the Bith Doctor Aidarro. Later, the individual would arrive at Largona to check up on Vastil and his men, who informed the individual that the group had made it out safely, and that the militia would head back to Espelar as soon as possible. Vastil also told them that thanks to the individual's training and efforts, Vastil was to be fully initiated into the Anchorhead militia. That was a choice of which the individual approved, and told Vastil to continue the work that he had been doing.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "We've heard of your victory against the Geonosians. The battle must have been impressive."
"More grim than impressive."
- ―Vastil and the militia trainer
A fair-skinned male Human with blond hair and blue eyes, Vastil joined the Anchorhead militia to protect his family and fellow settlers. Although he was initially very eager and overconfident, Vastil came to realize that his superior Junter Galt was right—Vastil and his fellow recruits were vastly under-trained. Thanks to the training of a Republic-allied individual, Vastil and the other recruits were able to hold their own against the native Tusken Raiders.
Vastil also developed a strong sense of loyalty to his fellow militiamen, and begged the individual to let him stay and help hold off the Geonosians instead of fleeing Manister Base with the others. However, the individual knew that Vastil would not survive and refused to let the young human sacrifice himself. Vastil later contacted the individual and thank them for stopping him, as he came to realize that his recklessness would have endangered his fellow militiamen.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Vastil was created for Star Wars: The Old Republic, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game released by BioWare on December 20, 2011. He first appears in the Republic Tatooine mission "Militia Training," where Republic players lead Vastil and two other militiamen into the Jundland Wastes to eliminate eighteen Tusken Raiders. This leads directly to the mission "Militia's Trial," where the player can choose to tell Vastil to leave for light side points, or to let him stay and die for dark side points. As only Republic players can complete this mission, it is assumed that the light side path is taken.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Republic Mission: "Militia Training" on Tatooine
- Star Wars: The Old Republic about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2 takes place ten years after the treaty, one week after the mission to Nar Shaddaa, and around the time of the SpecForce Incident. Since the mission and the incident are respectively part of Act I of the Jedi Knight and Republic Trooper's storylines, and the Trooper's Act I occurs concurrent to Act I of the Smuggler storyline, the general events of Act I for all classes can be assumed to occur in 3643 BBY. The Prologue for each class immediately precedes Act I, and Act III for all classes begins with the start of the Galactic War, which Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places around 3640 BBY. Assuming that in-universe chronology of the Star Wars: The Old Republic events roughly aligns with the release of story content in real-life as with , the Act III Epilogue must take place near the end of 3640 BBY since it was the chronologically latest story of the The Old Republic base game, which was released toward the end of 2011. Therefore, assuming that The Old Republic takes place over the course of three years per the former of the two aforementioned swtor.com posts, Act I takes place near the end of 3643 BBY. places
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Republic Mission: "Militia's Trial" on Tatooine