Descended from early Hapan explorers, the Venans had a tradition of maintaining an independent and isolationist stance on their system, remaining unaffiliated from the Galactic Republic, even though they shared a good relationship and the Venans would occasionally trade with the nearby Hapes Cluster.
Circa 57 BBY, the rise of Baron Kindoro and Baroness Omnino to power on Vena changed this historic position. Due to the fact that Kindoro and Omnino had been both ambassadors to Coruscant and Alderaan, this contact with outsiders motivated an economic deregulation and active foreign policy, including trade agreements, in order to make goods accessible to the Venan royal family.
This radical shift angered many Venans, who resented the fact that only the royal family was benefitting from the economic opening. The commoners called for a return to isolationism and the old-fashioned values. The regents, unwilling to give in to popular demands, imprisoned the movement leaders and sent them to labor camps. This move aggravated tensions and motivated the emergence of terrorism and sabotage against Venan nobility.
This conflict was worsened with the death of Kindoro, as Baroness Omnino proved herself even more unmerciful than her husband, and waged bloody war for years against her subjects, until her death in 37 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (Mentioned only)
- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell (First mentioned)
- Adventures in Hyperspace: Fire Ring Race (Mentioned only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 10 (KEN3–4, Obi-Wan Kenobi)
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook