- "We were assigned to the Republic medium cruiser Halleck, on station in the Ventran system. […] We weren't supposed to know why we were there, naturally; just as naturally, we knew anyway. It was clear this would be a VIP extraction on a hostile planet."
The Ventran system was a Mid Rim star system located on the Gevarno Loop hyperlane set. During the Clone Wars, the system was loyal to the Galactic Republic, and the Republic medium cruiser Halleck was stationed there in 21.51 BBY, until it was summoned by Jedi Master Mace Windu to the planet Haruun Kal for extraction.
- "Ventran is on the Gevarno Loop, one of half a dozen systems linked by hyperspace lanes that run through Al'har [sic]."
The Ventran system was a star system located within the Mid Rim's Var Hagen sector. The collection of hyperlanes known as the Gevarno Loop connected the Ventran system to the Killisu, Jutrand, Loposi, Opari, and Ch'manss systems, as well as the Gevarno Cluster. Due to local star configuration, a starship traveling between any two systems on the Gevarno Loop could decrease its journey time by days if it transited through the Al'Har system in the Dustig sector.
- "This is what we knew: If nothing went wrong, we wouldn't have anything to do. We'd cruise our station in the Ventran system for a week or two, then jump back for reassignment. Something went wrong."
During the Clone Wars, a conflict between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the Ventran system remained loyal to the Republic. Although the Republic did not see any particular strategic value in the Ventran system, it was nonetheless determined to protect the system against any military action by the Confederacy due to the high number of former Republic member systems that had already seceded during the conflict.
In 21.51 BBY, when Jedi Master Mace Windu traveled to the conflict-torn planet Haruun Kal in the Al'Har system on a mission to extract the missing fellow Jedi Depa Billaba, Windu journeyed aboard the Republic medium cruiser Halleck. After that, the cruiser was stationed in the Ventran system with a regiment of clone troopers aboard.
Unless the Jedi Master encountered any problems during his mission, the Halleck was supposed to cruise its station in the Ventran system for one or two weeks before leaving the system for reassignment. Eventually, Windu did signal the Halleck for extraction, and the medium cruiser traveled to the Al'Har system, where it participated in a battle against Confederate forces. Later, the clone trooper CT-6/774 reported the Halleck's time spent in the Ventran system in a personal account of the engagement at the Al'Har system.
Behind the scenes
- Shatterpoint (First mentioned)
- Shatterpoint unabridged audiobook
- Shatterpoint abridged audiobook
- "Equipment"—Star Wars: Short Story Collection (Mentioned only)
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II ("Halleck")
- The Essential Atlas