A vergence, or nexus point, was a phenomenon of the Force that was centered around a place or object; and in rare instances around an individual. A vergence was a place in the galaxy where the Force flowed the most freely, in a concentrated wellspring of energy that could be more easily harnessed by those sensitive to its power.
- "I have encountered a vergence in the Force."
"Located around a person?"
"A boy. His cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have ever seen in a lifeform... It is possible he was conceived by midi-chlorians."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu on Jinn's discovery of Anakin Skywalker on Tatooine
Vergences are locations within the galaxy where the Force is heavily concentrated (around places, objects, or individuals) and easily manipulated by Forceful beings. The Jedi Order created many theories on how vergences were created and why, but all theories put forward showed great flaws. Vergences could appear anywhere in the galaxy and varied in size, from entire planets to a single room. Many vergences in the Force appeared at locations with a strong history of its presence—where Force users gathered, or great tragedies occurred. The laws of time and space did not confine a vergence, as they could exist outside it. Vergences could exist for a single moment in history, or be maintained for millennia. They could grow and expand, or diminish completely. Not all vergences were the same; some encouraged certain abilities, such as giving visitors visions, or strengthening psychokinetic ability.
Both the Jedi Order and the Sith sought out these vergences and used them for their individual purposes. These groups often built temples around or over top of a nexus, or used the vergence as a talisman if it was centered around an object. Legends and prophecies spoke of vergences forming around individuals, a rare occurrence that had not been studied well by either order.
Over the course of the galaxy's history, many Force nexuses had been identified by the Jedi Order. The Coruscant Jedi Temple had been constructed on and within the mountain known as the Sacred spire, a nexus of great energy. Serving as the headquarters of the Order, it had been tainted long after the Temple was abandoned by Lord Nyax during the Yuuzhan Vong War. Other Jedi Temples, such as the Temple of Ilum, and the Temple of Eedit on Devaron were built over top of powerful nexuses. Monuments such as the Valley of the Jedi, where the spirits of several thousand Jedi, both light and dark, were trapped after the Seventh Battle of Ruusan, were also revered by the Order.
Some nexuses seemed to be caused by any number of different events. Korriban in general and the Valley of the Dark Lords specifically were nexuses of the dark side of the Force due to the long-term presence of the Sith Lords; Nam Chorios was a nexus of the Force due to the omnipresence of the Tsils, a form of life; Vjun was a nexus of the dark side due to the horrible events of its past; the Dark Side Cave on Dagobah and also a spot in orbit over Endor were both tainted by the death of dark side users; Byss was a nexus of the dark side of the Force because it housed Palpatine's clones and his various Sith alchemy experiments, with also Force energies sucking the life force from species and individuals on the planet. In 14 ABY, the Disciples of Ragnos drained several Force nexuses of their power with the Scepter of Ragnos.
Objects left in the presence of a Force nexus for extended amounts of time eventually became saturated with the Force, which imbued the object with special abilities, like a blade-edge that will never dull, the ability to absorb certain Force powers like Force lightning and electric judgment, or even the ability to enhance the wielder's perception of time, allowing him to think and react faster than otherwise possible. This effect allowed even a being who wasn't Force-sensitive to use the talisman to a great degree. Moreover, objects imbued with a particular aspect of the Force—be it light or dark—could actually become so saturated as to make their very presence intolerable to those of opposite alignment. Objects such as the Tears of the Elders, the Grimoire of Syclos the Lame, the Bardottan Sphere, and others were considered to be very powerful vergences.
Vergences around a personEdit
Meetra Surik was the center of a vergence. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn believed that a vergence in the Force was located in Anakin Skywalker. Another vergence in the force was located in the Caves of Light and Shadow on the planet Spintir: the cave was formed in the distant past by a struggle between the Light side of the Force and the Dark side of the Force, and by 0 ABY had corrupted a pack of icewolves which lived in the caves. After it was investigated by a team of Force-sensitives, the cave sealed itself.
Behind the scenesEdit
The first Force nexus to appear in Star Wars continuity was the cave on Dagobah, seen during Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. The concept of a location imbued with Force energy was then expanded on in the 1997 video-game Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — Knights of the Old Republic
- Tales of the Jedi (audio)
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith (audio)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Echoes of the Jedi
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Invasion of Theed Adventure Game (Adventure 5: Renegade)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Domain of Evil
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Specter of the Past
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Traitor
- Fate of the Jedi: Outcast (Mentioned only)
- Fate of the Jedi: Abyss
- Fate of the Jedi: Allies
- Fate of the Jedi: Vortex
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension
- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Dark Empire endnotes
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- "Dangers from the Dark Side: Villains for the Star Wars: New Republic Campaign, Part Two"—Polyhedron 104
- The Dark Forces Saga
- Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 13 (JIN4, Qui-Gon Jinn)
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- Lure of the Lost
- Nexus of Power