Vernestra Rwoh was a Mirialan female Jedi Knight during the High Republic Era. She was also occasionally nicknamed "Vern," although she disliked it. The former Padawan of Jedi Master Stellan Gios, she was promoted to the rank of Knight at the age of fifteen, making her the youngest Jedi to hold that rank in a long time. Several months later, after turning sixteen, Rwoh's first proper Jedi mission was supervising Avon Starros, an aspiring inventor and the daughter of Senator Ghirra Starros, at the remote outpost Port Haileap. However, when Rwoh and Starros joined a party traveling on the starship Steady Wing to the Starlight Beacon, a new space station, the cruiser was bombed, leading the two of them, along with Padawan Imri Cantaros, Starros' protocol droid J-6, and Honesty Weft, the son of a Dalnan ambassador, stranded on the jungle moon Wevo after evacuating the stricken ship in a shuttle. Vernestra, although young for her rank, was devoted to the ideals of the Jedi Order and wished to help others as best she could.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Vernestra Rwoh, a Mirialan female, was born around the year 248 BBY. She joined the Jedi Order at a young age, with her family group celebrating the discovery of her Force-sensitivity. She eventually became the Padawan of Jedi Master Stellan Gios. Vernestra was enough of a prodigy that she eventually attained the rank of Jedi Knight at the age of only fifteen, making her the youngest Knight in a generation.
Destruction of the Steady Wing[edit | edit source]
A few months later, during which time she had turned sixteen, Rwoh, on her first proper assignment, was tasked with taking care of twelve-year-old aspiring inventor Avon Starros while she was at the outpost Port Haileap, under the supervision of the outpost's marshal, Jedi Master Douglas Sunvale. Although Avon's mother, Senator Ghirra Starros, had sent her daughter to the remote spaceport to get her out of trouble and to make her appreciate her life on Coruscant more, Vernestra believed that being at Port Haileap only gave Avon more opportunities to do whatever she wanted. Vernestra liked Avon and found her inventions fascinating, but the two often butted heads because Avon disliked being told what not to do. Avon was accompanied by her protocol droid, J-6. While at Port Haileap, Vernestra had a dream about a new design for her lightsaber which would also allow it to become a lightwhip. After completing the modification that very night, Vernestra kept her weapon's new design secret, practicing with the whip in private and not telling either Master Sunvale or her former Master Gios.
Master Sunvale eventually requested that Avon and Vernestra join the passengers of the starship Steady Wing, which was taking a Dalnan delegation, including Ambassador Weft and his son Honesty, to the dedication ceremony of the new space station Starlight Beacon. Although Avon would not play any official role on the journey and her mother had not sent for her, Sunvale hoped that she would befriend the ambassador's son, who was the same age, and ease the Dalnans' concerns about the Galactic Republic. Vernestra also hoped that the two would become friends, as she felt that Avon needed one.
On a last walk around the port prior to departure, the young Jedi Knight caught Avon messing around with a homemade scoot speeder, catching her in midair with the Force and chiding her for not being on board. After the arrival of J-6, the three headed for the Steady Wing. As they were about to board, Vernestra suddenly had a foreboding feeling about an Aqualish mechanic who was one of several workers tinkering with the ship, but she tried to dismiss the feeling as it seemed to be nothing. After boarding the cruiser, Vernestra parted ways with Avon and J-6 prior to the vessel's departure from Port Haileap.
Vernestra later met Master Sunvale and his Padawan Imri Cantaros in one of the Steady Wing's dining areas, where they would be dining with the Dalnan delegation, including the Wefts, Janex, and Starstriker. Avon arrived late with J-6, stating her dress had needed refitting, and Vernestra was struck by the sharp contrast with the girl's usual appearance. The party sat down to eat, but just as they were about to begin, the Steady Wing shook. It quickly became clear the ship was in trouble. When the room was exposed to the vacuum of space, Vernestra launched herself towards the breach in order to clear debris preventing a blast door from sealing with her lightsaber. Sunvale ordered Vernestra to lead the way as the group left the room and headed for the escape pods. However, it soon became clear that the pods were gone, even though the Steady Wing was carrying far less passengers than its full possible capacity.
Vernestra, Avon, Honesty, Imri, and J-6 were separated from Sunvale and the others by a closing blast door. Searching for a way to escape, the group located a hangar containing a maintenance shuttle. With Avon quickly claiming piloting duties for herself, the group fled the doomed Steady Wing shortly before it exploded with no survivors.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
Vernestra Rwoh was a Mirialan female with green skin, dark hair, and blue eyes. Vernestra bore the markings of her family, six tiny black diamonds stacked in two rows of three tattooed on the outside corner of each eye. She was compassionate and devoted to the ways of the Jedi. Although Vernestra found her charge Avon exasperating at times, she enjoyed her company and wanted to get to know her better. Vernestra's prodigious talent, which vaulted her to the rank of Knight at an unusually young age, left her in an unusual position, and she was still learning to deal with her rank. This uncertainty, however, led her to occasionally dismiss genuine threats if she sensed them.
Powers and abilities[edit | edit source]
Vernestra could use telekinesis, using it to stop Avon Starros when the girl was running around Port Haileap on a scoot speeder when she was supposed to be boarding the Steady Wing. She was also capable of sensing threats through the Force, although she did not always realize the threat was genuine, occasionally dismissing such feelings as nothing.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Vernestra wore brown and cream Jedi robes with short sleeves and fingerless gauntlets on her forearms. She carried a purple-bladed lightsaber, which she had modified to also serve as a lightwhip. Uncertain of the reception the modification would get, she kept it secret as long as possible.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "Vernestra’s 16, so she's probably on the older end for middle-grade — most of middle grade characters tend to be between like 12, 13, 14. But Vernestra has a challenge, in that she is a full Jedi. She’s very young: most 16-year-olds in the Jedi Order are padawans still. She took her testing early, so she’s a bit of a prodigy. She doesn’t know anybody else who is as young as she is so she kind of sticks out, and that gives her her own set of of sort of challenges to deal with. So how is she a Jedi Knight in this order that is being led by amazing Jedi?"
- ―Justina Ireland on Vernestra Rwoh
Concept art of Vernestra shows her with purple hair, the same color as her lightsaber.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Into the Dark (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Into the Dark audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (First appearance, simultaneous with The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook, The High Republic: A Test of Courage, The High Republic: A Test of Courage audiobook) (as Vernestra Roh)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage audiobook
- The High Republic 2
- The High Republic 3
- The High Republic 4
- The High Republic 5
- The High Republic: Race to Crashpoint Tower
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First pictured, simultaneous with )
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The main events of The High Republic: Light of the Jedi occur several weeks before the dedication of the Starlight Beacon, which The Star Wars Book dates to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of that film to 0 BBY, it can be determined that the main events of Light of the Jedi occur around the year 232 BBY. As Vernestra Rwoh is sixteen years old in The High Republic: A Test of Courage, which takes place concurrently to Light of the Jedi, she must have been born around 248 BBY.
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage