- "As if they weren't ugly enough already..."
- ―Lando Calrissian
Vonduun Skerr Kyrric, more commonly known as Vonduun crab armor (also called Vonduun crabshell armor), was a bioengineered crab-shell-plated armor used by the Warrior caste of the Yuuzhan Vong. The armor was made from the living shell of the Vonduun crab.
The vonduun crab's spear-like legs were extremely sharp, and could be used as weapons. One set, called "grip legs", would sometimes grab the corner of the wearer's mouth, giving them an evil, skull-like smile. Vonduun crab armor had crystalline properties, and was resistant to blasters, slugthrowers, and even lightsabers. Certain varieties were known to augment the wearers' strength, as was the case with the elderly former Warmaster Czulkang Lah and his aged vonduun crab armor.
Color could vary from armor to armor, black being the most common, but cerulean and red being also witnessed several times.
Vonduun crab armor was extremely durable, as it could easily stop blaster hits, slugthrowers, and even lightsaber strikes. It was not that heavy, so most warriors could move quickly if needed. The spikes on the armor were also capable of being used as weapons of last resort, if they were used properly.
The armor was not powerful enough to withstand starfighter fire, nor could it withstand the strength of Mandalorian crushgaunts, which would crack and break the armor with the continuous application of pressure. The creature's gills were found in the armpit of the armored suit, thus leaving a weak point. In some cases, the wearer's face was not covered by the armor. As the armor was a living creature, it was subject to a living creature's problems and was found to be dangerously allergic to the Bafforr tree pollen, discovered during the Battle of Garqi. The armor could also be destroyed by Force lightning.
Non-Yuuzhan Vong could wear the armor, though capturing it alive was rare, as subduing or killing the armor's wearer typically required first wounding or killing the armor itself. During the Battle of Borleias, Danni Quee and Wraith Squadron members Baljos Arnjak and Bhindi Drayson wore captured, living vonduun crab armor. Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, and other members of the group wore inanimate synthetic vonduun crab armor composed of plasteel.
Modified versions of this armor were in use by the New Jedi Order by the time of 40 ABY in dueling practice, as it could deflect lightsaber hits. Apprentices such as Ben Skywalker would wear the armor to guard against serious injury during lightsaber practice duels. During one such exercise, Luke Skywalker ordered Ben to remove the armor.
Darth Krayt, Dark Lord of the One Sith, wore Vonduun crab armor after escaping Vergere in the Unknown Regions. He wore this armor until his death in 137 ABY. After Krayt's resurrection, his armor was destroyed by Darth Wyyrlok.
- Crimson Empire II: Council of Blood (First appearance)
- Boba Fett: A Practical Man
- The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime (First identified as Vonduun crab armor)
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
- The New Jedi Order: Balance Point
- The New Jedi Order: Recovery
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
- Emissary of the Void
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Traitor
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
- The New Jedi Order: Ylesia
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant
- "Equals & Opposites"—Star Wars Tales 21
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Legacy of the Force: Tempest
- Fate of the Jedi: Abyss (Possible mention)
- Fate of the Jedi: Conviction (Appears in hologram)
- X-Wing: Mercy Kill (Appears in flashback(s))
- Legacy 8: Allies
- Star Wars: Legacy: Broken
- Star Wars: Legacy: Ghosts
- Legacy 13: Ready to Die
- Star Wars: Legacy: Claws of the Dragon
- Legacy 22: The Wrath of the Dragon
- Legacy 27: Into the Core
- Legacy 30: Vector, Part 11
- Legacy 31: Vector, Part 12
- Legacy 34: Storms, Part 1
- Legacy 46: Monster, Part 4
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "vonduun crab armor")
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- The Essential Reader's Companion