- "Oh, no! A vorshak. Those pesky bark-eaters don't live around here."
- ―Weechee Warrick, upon seeing a vorshak in Bright Tree Village
Vorshaks, informally nicknamed "bark-eaters," were a type of furry, quadrupedal creature that lived on the Forest Moon of Endor. They had powerful front teeth that allowed them to consume the trees of the forest. In 3 ABY, one vorshak was captured by a tribe of Duloks and set loose in the Ewoks' Bright Tree Village, which it began to devastate. The Ewok shaman Logray managed to tame the vorshak with a love potion and save the village.
Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
Vorshaks were quadrupedal creatures that inhabited the Forest Moon of Endor, a world in the Outer Rim Territories of the galaxy. They had thick coats of yellow fur, with dark patches surrounding a pair of dark eyes. Vorshaks were distinguished by their bushy tails and large, powerful front teeth.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
- Wicket Wystri Warrick: "The vorshak will destroy the support trees."
- Chirpa: "We better tell the warriors to ready their weapons."
- Logray: "Wait. There is another way."
- ―Wicket Wystri Warrick, Chirpa, and Logray, shortly before taming a vorshak with a love potion[src]
Vorshaks were herbivorous, consuming trees of the forest. The Endor-native Ewoks considered this behavior to be "pesky," and they referred to vorshaks as "bark-eaters." Vorshaks demonstrated no signs of sentience, and they could be tamed with love potions.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Come on! While the Ewoks play with the vorshak, we'll relieve them of their harvest."
- ―Gorneesh, to his tribe
In 3 ABY, the Endor-residing Duloks led by King Gorneesh planned to steal the seasonal harvest from their cousins, the Ewoks of Bright Tree Village. Following a scheme devised by the Dulok shaman Umwak, the Dulok tribe captured a vorshak and brought it to Bright Tree Village. The vorshak began to eat the trees of the village, distracting the Ewok tribe and giving the Duloks an opportunity to steal their harvest.
When the Ewoks Wicket Wystri Warrick and Weechee Warrick heard the vorshak in the village, they gathered with other village members to watch the creature. When Wicket noted that the vorshak was eating the village's support trees, the tribe's chief, Chirpa, suggested readying warriors to confront the creature. However, the Ewok Shaman Logray suggested another solution and had his apprentice, Teebo, fetch a love potion. Logray doused a net with the potion, and instructed Wicket and Teebo to throw the net over the vorshak.
The vorshak was caught in the net and resisted, before becoming susceptible to the potion. Once the potion took effect, the vorshak was tamed and started to roll and prance through the forest. When the Duloks noticed what had happened and realized the Ewoks would be returning, they retreated.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Vorshaks first appeared in "Blue Harvest," the twelfth episode of the animated television series Ewoks. The episode was written by Paul Dini and Sam Wilson, and it premiered on November 23, 1985.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Ewoks—"Blue Harvest"
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- "Star Wars Publications Timeline"—Star Wars Insider 23 dates the events of the Ewoks animated series, which include the appearance of a vorshak in "Blue Harvest," to three years after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 3 ABY, according to The New Essential Chronology.
- "A Star Wars CELibration"—Star Wars Insider 27