- "A favorite among the Wookiees, this timeless steamed puddin' showcases a juicy berry gathered from the forest floors of Kashyyk."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Life Day Cookbook
Wasaka Berry Pudding was a favorite dessert of the Wookiees on their homeworld of Kashyyyk, made from the local wasaka berries. Almost every single Wookiee family had a generations-old recipe for the pudding, each feeling that theirs was the best and that it was worth fighting anyone who disagreed.
At some point after publishing his first cookbook in 34 ABY, Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs included a recipe for Wasaka Berry Pudding in his second cookbook, The Life Day Cookbook. He chose the included recipe after much deliberation, selecting a bright and tart variation that he considered universally appealing and mouthwatering. Tuggs also included a warning to readers a slight change to the recipe could anger its Wookiee eaters enough to react violently.
Behind the scenes
Wasaka Berry Pudding was introduced to the new Star Wars canon in the 2021 recipe book Star Wars: The Life Day Cookbook, authored by Jenn Fujikawa and Marc Sumerak. The out-of-universe recipe for the pudding in The Life Day Cookbook calls for raspberries, honey, butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla extract, flour, whole milk, salt, raspberry jam, and lemon juice. In the Star Wars Legends continuity, wasaka-berry pudding first appeared in The Wookiee Storybook, a 1979 young readers' title authored by Eleanor Ehrhardt and illustrated by Patricia Wynne.
- Star Wars: The Life Day Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Life Day Cookbook
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- The Wookiee Storybook