- "I don't understand. Why did these troopers attack us?"
- ―Clone trooper Dogma, inquiring about the tragic friendly-fire incident
During the Grand Army of the Republic's campaign on the Expansion Regions world of Umbara, Waxer's platoon received information from Jedi General Pong Krell that the Umbarans had destroyed a clone unit and were disguised with their armor and equipment. However, the exact same information had been given to Clone Captain CT-7567 of the 501st Legion.The resulting battle resulted in heavy casualties for both sides, until it was realized that both forces were actually clones. Although they had at this point lost their platoon leader, the platoon, along with the surviving element of the 501st, combined to apprehend General Krell for treason.
Description[edit | edit source]
The platoon comprised of thirty-six clone troopers divided into four squads of the 212th Attack Battalion who were equipped with phase II clone trooper armor emblazoned with the distinctive orange markings of the 212th. In addition to their regular armor, the troopers in Waxer's platoon notably utilized mortars and were equipped with visors and backpacks.
History[edit | edit source]
Friendly fire[edit | edit source]
- "Tell me, who gave you the orders to attack us."
(GASPING) "It… It was General Krell." (COUGHING) "He sent us to these coordinates to stop the enemy. We thought they were wearing our armor, but it was…you."
- ―Captain Rex, discovering Krell's treachery
Waxer's platoon was active in 20 BBY as a part of the 212th Attack Battalion on the Expansion Regions planet Umbara during aptly named Battle of Umbara in the Clone Wars between the Grand Army of the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. During the final days of the battle, the platoon was informed by Jedi General Pong Krell, who was in command of the 501st Legion at that time, that a unit of clone troopers had been ambushed by Umbarans and the near-human soldiers had disguised themselves in clone trooper armor.
However, Krell had informed the 501st Legion of the same scenario, who deployed a his forces in response. Shortly after, both units came into contact, each thinking the other was Umbaran. Waxer's platoon initiated contact with the 501st's, and both sides suffered horrendous friendly-fire casualties—including Waxer. Once it was discovered that their enemy was not Umbaran but rather their own comrades, the element of the 501st combined with the survivors of Waxer's platoon to take on Krell.
Apprehending Krell[edit | edit source]
- "It's treason then."
- ―Pong Krell, upon being confronted by his own troops
The combined units marched on the Umbaran airbase, which was currently under the control of the 501st. They engaged in contact with Krell in the base's control tower, but the traitorous Jedi was able to escape into the forest, inflicting significant losses upon the clone troops. The dwindling troopers, including the remains of Waxer's platoon, pursued Krell into the forest outside of the airbase and began searching for him.
As his disembodied voice echoed through the forest, Krell leaped down from the trees and began a renewed attack on the clones. As more and more troopers fell to the onslaught, a clone trooper nicknamed "Tup" stumbled upon a vixus, a predatory species native to Umbara. In a last-ditch effort to stop the carnage, Tup lured Krell toward the vixus, which subsequently caught the General. Due to the distraction, the surviving clone troopers were able to stun Krell and take him into custody. In the aftermath of the events, at least two clone troopers from Waxer's platoon survived.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell" (First appearance)
- "The Shadow of Umbara"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle! (First identified as Waxer's platoon)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle!
- Star Wars: Complete Locations establishes that a platoon in the Grand Army of the Republic contains thirty-six clone troopers divided into four squads. Since the Waxer's platoon was a platoon within the Grand Army, it must have the same composition.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Mon Cala and the skirmish in Theed to 20 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the episodes the other events are attached to according to , this event must also take place 20 BBY.