Twenty-two years before the Battle of Yavin, and shortly after the outbreak of the Clone Wars, Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala were married in a secret wedding on Naboo. The marriage, witnessed by the droids C-3PO and R2-D2, was kept secret due to Amidala's place as a prominent Senator in the Galactic Republic and because of Skywalker's membership in the Jedi Order; the Jedi Code prevented Jedi from falling in love and forming attachments such as marriage. Skywalker's marriage to Amidala ultimately led to his fall to the dark side of the Force, as Darth Sidious—the Dark Lord of the Sith—was able to seduce him to the dark side with the promise of finding the power to save Amidala from death.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
- "I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie, and that it would destroy our lives."
"I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly, deeply love you, and before we die I want you to know."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala
During the invasion of the planet Naboo, Queen Padmé Amidala and her Jedi protectors escaped her besieged world and sought refuge on the desert planet of Tatooine. It was there that they met a young slave named Anakin Skywalker, who helped them gain the parts they needed to leave Tatooine. The young Skywalker earned his freedom, helped the queen and the Jedi liberate Naboo, and ultimately joined the Jedi Order. Over the next ten years, he thought of Amidala often and frequently had dreams about her. He did not see her for an entire decade following the Naboo Crisis, but his feelings for her nonetheless grew.
During the Separatist Crisis that preceded the outbreak of the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, then-Senator Amidala was targeted for assassination due to her opposition to the Republic's proposed Military Creation Act. Skywalker was assigned to protect her and traveled with the senator to Naboo to keep her safe while in hiding. Their time together allowed their feelings to blossom, with Amidala growing ever-closer to the young Padawan. Despite their growing attraction, Amidala did not believe that she could be with her Jedi protector; Amidala was a prominent senator, and Skywalker was required to follow the Jedi Code, which forbid attachments like romance. The pair was later captured on Geonosis while attempting to save Skywalker's Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, from Separatist captivity, and all three were sentenced to death. Just before being led into a Geonosian execution arena, Amidala admitted that she truly loved Skywalker and wanted him to know that before they died.
The wedding[edit | edit source]
Skywalker and Amidala escaped from Geonosis with their lives, after being rescued by a Jedi strike team and the Grand Army of the Republic. The rescue led to the First Battle of Geonosis, sparking the Clone Wars between the Republic and the Separatist Alliance. After the battle, Skywalker returned with Amidala to Naboo under the pretense that he was escorting her back home, as the Jedi High Council was unaware that the Padawan had fallen in love with the senator. In reality, the two star-crossed lovers were married at Varykino, a lake retreat in Lake Country on Naboo. The union was officiated by a holy man from the region, and witnessed by the droids C-3PO and R2-D2. The marriage remained a secret, as Skywalker could have been expelled from the Jedi Order if the union was discovered by the Jedi Council. As a wedding gift, Amidala gave her new husband R2. Similarly, after the wedding, C-3PO became more Amidala's property than Skywalker's because, thanks to her job as a Galactic Senator, she needed a reliable translator more than Skywalker did.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- "Love won't save you, Padmé. Only my new powers can do that."
- ―Darth Vader, to Padmé Amidala
Skywalker and Amidala's marriage ultimately ended in heartbreak. Having seen visions of Amidala dying in childbirth, and unable to find the answers he sought from the Jedi, Skywalker became the apprentice of Darth Sidious, publicly known as his friend Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who offered to show him the power to save people from death. Skywalker became a Dark Lord of the Sith and took on the name Darth Vader, before helping his new master destroy the Jedi Order. Amidala attempted to save Skywalker from the dark side of the Force, but Skywalker, in a fit of rage, attacked his wife after he believed she had betrayed him to the Jedi. Amidala died shortly after giving birth to her twins, Luke and Leia, while a grievously-injured Darth Vader was forced to spend the rest of his life in a suit of armor. Sidious led Vader to believe that it was Vader who killed Amidala—medical droids instead speculated that Amidala had lost the will to live— and he carried this guilt with him for many years.
Shortly after the Battle of Fortress Vader, Darth Vader entered a portal constructed by Darth Momin to resurrect Amidala. While walking through visions, he saw his wedding as the words of "We are encouraged to love" resounded in his mind.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only) (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Attack of the Clones Read-Along Storybook and CD
- "Hostage Crisis"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark (Indirect mention only)
- "Intermission, Part I"—Star Wars Adventures 12 (Indirect mention only)
- Ahsoka (Indirect mention only)
- Ahsoka audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 25 (Vision to Darth Vader)
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess (Appears in flashback(s))
- "Stories in the Sand"—From a Certain Point of View (Appears in hologram)
- From a Certain Point of View audiobook (Appears in hologram)
- Darth Vader 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Force Collector (Vision to Karr Nuq Sin)
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III–Antilles)
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 32 (Databank A-Z: Kel Dor–Ki-Adi-Mundi)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Bust Collection 1 (Star Wars Universe: Darth Vader)
- ; image #6 (of 16)
- ; image #16 (of 29)
- (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- "501 Plus One"—Age of Republic Special 1
- Jedi of the Republic – Mace Windu 1
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Darth Vader 6
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 25
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi