- "We've expanded the universe."
- ―Peter M. Schweighofer
West End Games (WEG) was the publisher of Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game between 1987 and 1998, when the company's financial problems forced them to give up the license. Their headquarters was in Honesdale, Pennsylvania.
While all the supplements West End Games produced are out of print, some of the information included in their sourcebooks and adventures was used as background material for the Expanded Universe novels and comics, and some of the writers for West End Games supplements went on to write for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game produced by Wizards of the Coast. Much as with Marvel Comics' original Star Wars series, relatively obscure characters and settings from WEG supplements were frequently referenced in later Expanded Universe material by such authors as Abel G. Peña and Pablo Hidalgo (himself a former West End Games freelancer).
Lucasfilm's 2014 continuity policy change placed West End Games material under the Legends banner of Star Wars canon. Character and item statistics had always been considered non-canonical game mechanics.
Associated supplements, of varying canonicity, were also published in publications such as Dragon Magazine, Challenge magazine, Polyhedron, and, later, Dungeon/Polyhedron. Three West End Games sourcebooks—the Jedi Sourcebook, Tion Hegemony Sourcebook and The X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Sourcebook—were canceled before their release.
Published Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game materialEdit
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (October 1987)
- Star Wars Gamemaster Handbook (1993)
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim (1993)
- Twin Stars of Kira (1993)
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook (November 1993)
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology (1995)
- The DarkStryder Campaign (1995)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition (1995)
- Heroes & Rogues (1995)
- Tales of the Jedi Companion (1996)
- No Disintegrations (1997)
- Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy (1997)
- "Star Wars Publications Timeline"—Star Wars Insider 23
- "Boba Fett: Mystery Man in Not-So-Shining Armor"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 1
- "Assignment: Decoy"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 7
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- ↑ Star Wars Gamemaster Handbook
- ↑ Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- ↑ Twin Stars of Kira
- ↑ Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- ↑ Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- ↑ The DarkStryder Campaign
- ↑ Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition
- ↑ Heroes & Rogues
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi Companion
- ↑ No Disintegrations
- ↑ Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy