- "All right, beings. For some of you, I'm your final hurdle. You've got to get by me to get your hands on a real starfighter. I'm here to make sure you don't leave here as TIE meat. We can't spare the ships."
- ―Wex Dafid
Wex "TIE-Die" Dafid was a commander in the Alliance to Restore the Republic who served as Starfighter Command's tactical training officer on the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser Independence during the early Galactic Civil War. During his time as a pilot, Dafid flew 150 combat missions for the Alliance, which left him with a three-inch scar on his cheek and a mechanical prosthetic in place of a lost hand. He also gained an understanding of tactical flying, which aided him in his career as an instructor, though his appearance, and intense personality, often intimidated those he trained.
- "You can get shot just as dead when there's a moron at the helm as when there's a genius."
- ―Wex Dafid
Wex Dafid served as a pilot with the Alliance to Restore the Republic and survived 150 combat missions before retiring from active duty and taking a position as a training officer. Little was known of Wex Dafid's early career with the Alliance among those he trained during the early Galactic Civil War. Stories circulating among rookie pilots told that he had ignored practically every rule of combat and was almost killed on several occasions. Though these were only stories, his early career left him with a three-inch scar on his cheek, a mechanical hand and the nickname "TIE-Die."
By 1 BBY, Dafid was serving as Starfighter Command's chief tactical training officer aboard the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser Independence, having the rank of commander and an office near the ship's simulator room. Dafid oversaw the training of many recruits, including the Agamarians Keyan Farlander and Sunnar Jan-lo, taking them through simulated missions and teaching the lessons they would need to stay alive in combat. Rarely were pilots allowed near a real starfighter until they had completed every training scenario to Dafid's satisfaction. Keyan Farlander was a rare exception, entering active duty on General Jan Dodonna's orders after achieving near perfect simulator scores, even though Dafid felt the young pilot was not ready. After leaving Dafid's training, pilots often entered service in one of the Independence's starfighter squadrons, though some later moved to other assignments. In addition to training recruits, Dafid also retrained those pilots who had demonstrated weaknesses at certain skills.
Personality and traits
- "Ready? Who's ever ready? You'll be all right. Keep asking yourself whether or not you're ready yet, and when the answer is yes, that's when you might consider a nice desk job. The end is near."
- ―Wex Dafid to Keyan Farlander
Dafid was a tough, no-nonsense officer whose early experiences in combat were rumored to have taught him the importance of proper tactical flying. His often intense personality, combined with the three-inch scar on his cheek and his mechanical hand, the strength of which he struggled to gauge, ensured that the young recruits were often intimidated by the man. As he first examined Farlander's class, observing each pilot in turn while muttering to himself, Farlander's first impression was that Dafid was a "nut case." Nevertheless, Dafid was a competent instructor who cared for the wellbeing of those he trained, and was determined not to let them enter combat until they were ready. Every training mission was designed to teach a specific lesson and Dafid did not care how many attempts it took trainees to complete them, as long as they demonstrated that they had fully understood the lessons being taught. He tended to refer to his pilots by their last name, only calling Farlander by his first name after the pilot was promoted from his class. He did have a sense of humor, though the intimidated recruits in his class rarely laughed at his jokes.
Behind the scenes
Wex Dafid was created by Rusel DeMaria for the 1993 book X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide, which presented the story of Keyan Farlander, the player character in the game Star Wars: X-Wing. In the book Dafid serves as the tactical training officer aboard the Independence while Farlander is undergoing training. In the game, however, Farlander's tactical training takes place away from the Independence, at an EF76 Nebulon-B escort frigate which serves as a training center, and the scenario briefings are given by General Dodonna.
- X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide (First mentioned)
- X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM: The Official Strategy Guide
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and references
- X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide
- Strongholds of Resistance
- X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide begins after the X-wing starfighter entered service with the Alliance to Restore the Republic, which The Essential Guide to Warfare places in 1 BBY. X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide establishes that the capture of Leia Organa occurs at the end of Star Wars: X-Wing's second tour of duty. Organa's capture takes place on 35:3:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system, placing it at the beginning of 0 BBY according to the following explanation. Events in X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide before the end of the second tour of duty therefore take place in 1 BBY.
- Star Wars: X-Wing