Whisper birds were a species of golden-colored bird native to the moon Yavin 4. The birds lived in the moon's rain forests, silently traveling in flocks and roosting in the massassi trees that grew there. The birds could also be found on Coruscant and Null.
The whisper bird had a distinct low-pitched call. Their ability to fly silently inspired the name 'whisper bird,' and they used that ability when hunting. Wild whisper birds subsisted on a diet of fish and weeds. Though hunters themselves, packs of predatory stintaril rodents would sometimes attack and overwhelm whisper birds while they were roosting.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Whisper birds were first mentioned in the Star Wars Legends novel Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force, which was released in 1995 and written by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta. The species was confirmed to be canon by the reference book Ultimate Star Wars, which was released in 2015.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First appearance)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Escape (Mentioned only)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare (Indirect mention only)
- Before the Awakening (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (First pictured)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition