- "It's those womp rats again. Are they trying to chew up all the cables on the planet or what?"
- ―Luke Skywalker, after shooting a womp rat
Biology and appearanceEdit
Native to Tatooine, the womp rat evolved to withstand harsh desert climates. A breed of rodent, they were considered hairy, monstrous pests. They had lumpish, gray skin with tufts of spiky black hair running along their backs. They moved on four legs tipped with three-clawed paws, and had long tails and ears. Typically not much bigger than two meters, they possessed big, sharp fangs used to seize prey, and had large, yellow eyes.
Womp rats were not timid creatures, hunting in packs and using their fangs to seize prey. When alone, a single womp rat was known to devour the garbage left by moisture farmers. They lived in the Jawa Heights region and used Beggar's Canyon as their den, alongside the more fearsome krayt dragons. The smell of dead womp rats was known to attract krayts. Nesting in the desert, womp rats sometimes gathered in swarms to attack the inhabitants of Tatooine, and while these dangerous swarms were feared, inhabitants didn't hesitate to hunt the creatures for sport.
Womp rats evolved in the harsh desert climate of Tatooine, where they gathered in packs to attack locals. Tusken Raiders used womp rat tusks to decorate their clothing, and native dewbacks were known to eat the critters.
During the Clone Wars, when Anakin Skywalker was having trouble getting information out of Dr. Nuvo Vindi, Obi-Wan Kenobi told him to have patience, as there was "more than one way to skin a womp rat."
While living on Tatooine, Luke Skywalker used his T-16 skyhopper to bulls-eye womp rats, blasting them with the vehicle's pneumatic projectile gun in the desert world's Jawa Heights region. Luke had the most hits on the monstrous pests of any of his group of friends on a skyhopper run through Beggar's Canyon. Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, when Col Takbright protested that the two-meter target on the Death Star was impossible to hit even for a computer, Skywalker countered that he used to "bulls-eye" womp rats that were not much bigger than two meters.
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander Empire Gameplay video
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles