- "We see it, Gold Leader. Ion torpedoes away!"
- ―Wona Goban during the Battle of Scarif
Wona Goban was a Rebel pilot who flew with Gold Squadron during the Galactic Civil War. Under the callsign Gold Nine, Goban served in the Battle of Scarif, in which she supported Admiral Raddus and the Rebel group Rogue One. During the battle, Goban, along with Gold Leader Jon Vander and three other members of Gold Squadron, disabled the Star Destroyer Persecutor with ion torpedoes. Persecutor was later rammed by the Sphyrna-class Hammerhead corvette Lightmaker and pushed into another Star Destroyer, the Intimidator, which cased both starships to crash into Scarif's Shield Gate, destroying it, and enabling Jyn Erso to transmit the Death Star plans to the Profundity.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "It was incredible to be in the cockpit. It was everything I had imagined a Rebel fighter cockpit would be like; as soon as I was there, I knew I was going into battle and firing ion torpedoes. Even though the shot was only of my head, the full costume was quite intricate. I didn't dare drink too much water as it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get in and out of..."
- ―Gabby Wong
Wona Goban was portrayed by actress Gabby Wong in the Star Wars anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The actress was booked for a day of costume and helmet fitting and a two day shoot. She recorded dialogue as well, but because of the final sequencing of the battle, the lines she had recorded didn't quite fit and she was asked to come back during post-production for ADR. In the end, however, her voice was not used and the character ended up dubbed by Vanessa Marshall.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Wona Goban)
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy