The Wookiee honor code was a rule in Wookiee culture which forbade Wookiees from using their extendable claws for anything other than climbing. In the year 34 ABY, Chewbacca, a Wookiee male from Kashyyyk, used his claws to kill a First Order stormtrooper following the murder of his closest friend, Han Solo. Solo had been killed by his son, Kylo Ren, who was a leader of the First Order. Chewbacca knowingly violated the Wookiee honor code, but he rationalized that there was no honor among the First Order and that Ren had broken all of the rules by committing patricide.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Wookiee honor code was first mentioned in the 2016 audiobook of Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel by Michael Kogge, a Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens adaptation. The novel was originally released as an eBook in 2015, but the honor code's mention is exclusive to the audiobook and print editions.
In Star Wars Legends, Wookiees who used their claws in combat were exiled and labeled as "madclaws." The concept of using claws dishonorably first appeared in the 1996 Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook by Peter M. Schweighofer.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel audiobook (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- ↑ Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel to the year 34 ABY, it can be deduced that Chewbacca broke the honor code in that year.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel audiobook
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 273 ("mad-claw")
- ↑ Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook