- "This place is ancient. Like a world between worlds."
- ―Ahsoka Tano
The World Between Worlds, also known as Vergence Scatter, was a mystical plane within the the Force that served as a collection of doors and pathways existing between time and space, linking all moments in time together.
- "Here in this place, I can change things. I can stop Kanan from dying."
"You don't know that."
"Yes I do. If I can change your fate, I can change his."
"[…] Ezra, Kanan gave his life so that you can live. If he's taken out of this moment… you all die."
"You don't understand what you're asking me to do."
"Yes, I do; you can't save your master, and I can't save mine. I'm asking you to let go."
- ―Ezra Bridger and Ahsoka Tano, on the power and limitations the realm held
The World Between Worlds was accessible from the ancient painting of the Mortis gods that decorated the exterior of the Lothal Jedi Temple. Loth-wolves were intrinsically tied to the realm and could traverse through it in a manner similar to hyperspace travel. Sith follower Minister Veris Hydan of the Galactic Empire believed that gaining access to the World Between Worlds would give one control of the universe.
After the discovery of the Jedi temple on Lothal, the power-hungry Sith Lord Darth Sidious, ruler of the Galactic Empire, deployed Minister Veris Hydan with the Imperial Military to the site in search of an entryway to the World Between Worlds in his lust for power.
The Sith's designs were thwarted when the Jedi Padawan Ezra Bridger discovered world's key, and was able to unlock and enter the World Between Worlds first. After saving Ahsoka Tano from the past by pulling her into the realm, Bridger became adamant in also changing the fate of his master, Kanan Jarrus. However, Tano reasoned with the Padawan that they would all be dead without Jarrus' selfless sacrifice, telling Bridger that she understood the pain of being unable to save one's master, citing her own experiences, and taught Ezra Bridger to let go. Turning away, the pair resolved to close the portal to the realm to prevent others from accessing it, only to encounter Darth Sidious, who tried to enter the realm using the Force users. Bridger and Tano, however, were able to return to their own times, with Bridger closing the portal and causing the Lothal temple to collapse, taking Hydan with it.
Behind the scenes
- "I always got the sense that if somebody else had gone into that World Between Worlds, they would have experienced something completely different. They would have heard different voices echoing, the portals would have been different, so it's all about what you bring into it and what your experiences are and what your connections are."
- ―Henry Gilroy
The world between worlds was created for the Star Wars Rebels television series. It was identified in the season four episode "A World Between Worlds." While developing the world between worlds, Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni had conversations with Star Wars creator George Lucas about it. During the Star Wars Rebels Remembered panel at Celebration Chicago in April 2019, Filoni confirmed that the concept for the world between worlds had been inspired by the Wood between the Worlds in C.S.Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.
- Star Wars Rebels webcomic
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Kindred"
- Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds"
- Star Wars: Destiny – Empire at War (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Spark of Hope (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as World Between Worlds and Vergence Scatter)
- The Star Wars Book
- "The Heroes of Rogue One" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Indirect mention only)
- (Picture only)