- "This place is ancient. Like a world between worlds."
- ―Ahsoka Tano
The world between worlds, also known as Vergence Scatter and Netherworld of Unbeing was a mystical plane within the Force serving as a collection of doors and pathways that existed between time and space, linking all moments in time together; It was previously accessible from the ancient painting of the Mortis gods that decorated the exterior of the planet Lothal's Jedi Temple. Loth-wolfs are intrinsically tied to the realm that they can traverse through it in a manner similar to Hyperspace travel. Darth Sidious, ruler of the Galactic Empire, sought to enter the world between worlds, as gaining access would give him unimaginable power, and as Minister Veris Hydan believed, control of the universe.
The Jedi padawan Ezra Bridger thwarted Sidious' designs when he discovered the key, and was able to unlock and enter the world between worlds first. After saving Ahsoka Tano from the past by pulling her into the world between worlds, Ezra and Ahsoka encountered Darth Sidious, who tried to enter the realm using the Force users. Ezra and Ahsoka however were able to return to their own times, with Ezra closing the portal, causing the Lothal temple to collapse, taking Hydan with it.
Behind the scenes
- "I always got the sense that if somebody else had gone into that World Between Worlds, they would have experienced something completely different. They would have heard different voices echoing, the portals would have been different, so it's all about what you bring into it and what your experiences are and what your connections are."
- ―Henry Gilroy
The world between worlds was created for the Star Wars Rebels television series. It was identified in the season four episode "A World Between Worlds". While developing the world between worlds, Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni had conversations with Star Wars creator George Lucas about it. During the Star Wars Rebels Remembered panel at Celebration Chicago in April 2019, Filoni confirmed that the concept for the world between worlds had been inspired by the Wood between the Worlds in C.S.Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Kindred"
- Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds" (First identified as world between worlds)
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Spark of Hope (Card: Alter Fate) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (as World Between World) (First identified as Chain Worlds Theorem and Vergence Scatter)
- (Picture only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Highlights of the ‘Star Wars’ Animation Panels at Dragon Con 2018. TWG. thewookieegunner.com (2018-09-08). Archived from the original on October 2, 2019. Retrieved on January 19, 2019.