Worrts were a non-sentient species that hailed from the desert of the planet Tatooine. These squat, large-mouthed creatures caught prey by sitting stationary in the sand and then using their long tongues to wrap around passing rodents or insects.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Worrts were squat and spiky creatures whose appearance bore similarities to that of chubas. They had brown, warty skin and measured 1.50 meters in height. They were quadrupeds with dexterous forelimbs. A worrt's head featured a pair of sensitive cranial palps, two bulbous eyes that could be yellow in hue, two nostrils, and a large mouth. That mouth contained a long tongue, and strong teeth laced with a venom potent enough to kill a bantha. The eyelids of the worrts could keep sand out of their eyes, and their saliva was also capable of jamming a blaster. Worrts lay large amounts of soft eggs, which were harvested for food and used as ingredients in drinks such as Jabba Juice.
Behavior and intelligenceEdit
Worrts were predatory creatures who lived on desert planets. Worrts fed mostly on insects and rodents. When hungry, a worrt would settle into the sand, becoming indistinguishable from a rocky outcropping, and wait for a prey to pass by it. When its victim came close enough, the predator threw its tongue out of its mouth and wrapped it around the prey. The worrt's tongue then snapped back, throwing the food down its throat.
The chuba-like worrts lived in the desertic wastes of Tatooine, a suns-scorched planet located in the Outer Rim Territories. The most notable worrt in the galaxy may have been the one lived on the road to Jabba the Hutt's Palace in the Dune Sea of Tatooine around the time of the Battle of Endor. Three years later, Han Solo and Lando Calrissian encountered a worrt named Korrg kept by the pilot Taka Jamoreesa. Around thirty years after the Battle of Endor, a Nu-Cosian traveling merchant and storyteller named Bobbajo kept a worrt named J'Rrosch as a pet.
Behind the scenesEdit
A worrt first appeared in the 1983 movie Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, the third installment in the original trilogy of Star Wars. Like many of the creatures seen at Jabba's Palace in the movie, the worrt was portrayed by a puppet. Its production nickname was simply "road creature."
- "Rites"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (As "desert predator")
- Last Shot
- "All Creatures Great and Small"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I
- "Better the Devil You Know, Part I"—Star Wars Adventures 1
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- A Crash of Fate
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Creature Stall
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Oga's Cantina
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First identified as Worrt)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "All Creatures Great and Small"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Last Shot
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know