The worrt was an amphibious creature native to Tatooine, though they could also be found on Nal Hutta and Phaeda. It was omnivorous, but was also known to attempt to eat rocks and metal objects, which led to the demise of many worrts. It used its long tongue to catch smaller prey, but would often try to attack creatures bigger than itself. Sometimes, immediately upon eating prey, it will also let out a loud belch.
Worrts could, with great difficulty, be trained as housepets. Jabba Desilijic Tiure kept a number of worrts as pest control, exploiting the creature's lightning-quick tongue. The worrt counted the native ibian among its prey. Worrt venom tasted like tricopper and was strong enough to kill a bantha.
Worrts were among the exotic (and mostly predatory) flora and fauna of Gardulla the Hutt's indoor pleasure garden in her Tatooine palace, near the Dune Sea. One of these, in 32 BBY, bit deeply into the elbow of the Sakiyan bounty hunter Djas Puhr, who was in hot pursuit of unknown juvenile thieves of Gardulla's 'property': Anakin Skywalker, his rescuer-friends, and the beautifully fragile creatures they rescued, the Ghostling children, which the Hutt had planned to use as living garden ornaments. To deal with the pesky creature that so rudely and painfully interrupted his chase, the Sakiyan used his employer-issued Stokhli spray stick to stun the animal, flipping it end over end, and straightaway set it to snoring.
It was said that there were giant worrts—much larger than 1.5 meters in height—roaming the tops of the barren mountains of Tatooine.
A close relative of the worrt was the aggressive sevorrt.
Behind the scenes
The worrt was a puppet, like many of the creatures seen at Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi. Its production nickname is simply "road creature."
The worrt is sometimes mistaken for a frog-dog.
In the video game Super Star Wars, worrts are colored green and leave sticky orange goo on the ground when killed.
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (Mentioned only)
- Episode I Adventures 7: Capture Arawynne
- Episode I Adventures 8: Trouble on Tatooine (Mentioned only)
- Podracing Tales
- Jar Jar's Mistake
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Mentioned only)
- Shatterpoint (Mentioned only)
- Empire 23: The Bravery of Being Out of Range
- Super Star Wars (as "Drog")
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The Return of Tag & Bink: Special Edition (Non-canonical appearance)
- Rebel Force: Trapped (Mentioned only)
- The Gambler's Quest
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- A Free Quarren in the Palace: Tessek's Tale (Mentioned only)
- "Kella Rand, Reporting..."—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6 (Mentioned only)
- Tatooine Ghost (Mentioned only)
- Crimson Empire
- Children of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi
- Super Star Wars Official Game Secrets (as "Drog")
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- Creatures of the Galaxy
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition
- "ISB Intercepts"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Alien Anthology
- "Shape-shifters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 110 (TAT57, Tatooine Wildlife)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Worrt)
- Secrets of Tatooine
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- "The Toughest Ever Creatures"—Star Wars Insider 102
- Threats of the Galaxy (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Worrt)
- Star Wars: Head-to-Head Tag Teams
- Star Wars: What Makes a Monster?