- "The Resistance is dead. The Sith flame will burn. All worlds surrender or die. The Final Order begins."
- ―Darth Sidious's message to the galaxy
The Xyston-class Star Destroyer, also known as the Sith Star Destroyer, was a model of Star Destroyer used by Darth Sidious' Final Order. The Sith Eternal fleet consisted entirely of these warships and engaged the Resistance in a battle within the atmosphere of Exegol. They were based on the design of the older Imperial I-class Star Destroyers, with key differences including a larger size, red accents along the hull of the vessel, and a large axial superlaser capable of destroying planets, which took the place of a standard Imperial-class Star Destroyer's main hangar space.
- "They've conjured legions of Star Destroyers. The Sith fleet will increase our resources ten thousand fold."
- ―Enric Pryde, on the Sith fleet's Xyston-class Star Destroyers
While equipped with deflector shields, the Xyston-class could not activate them while inside Exegol's atmosphere. These Star Destroyers also required a navigational beacon in order to leave Exegol. A navigation tower existed on the planet for this purpose. These vessels were nearly identical to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer, in all but size and power.
Xyston-class ships contained at least two TIE fighter launch bays next to the axial superlaser. Each destroyer had a crew of 29,585, far less than the 37,000 of an Imperial Star Destroyer. This reduction in crew size was accomplished through heavy use of automation.
Where the ventral hangar bay of conventional Imperial Star Destroyers was located, these Star Destroyers were fitted with a large axial superlaser and flanked by two smaller hangars. While it would not destroy a planet instantly like the superlasers of the Death Stars, the cannon would obliterate a planet by firing at the target in a sustained burst. These superlasers were connected directly to the Star Destroyer's solar ionization reactor, and severe damage to them would destroy the ship itself.
- "The day this fleet launches, freedom dies in the galaxy."
- ―Beaumont Kin
A Xyston-class Star Destroyer was capable of obliterating an entire planet with a single shot of its complementary axial superlaser. Forming the bulk of the Sith Eternal fleet, its Xystons were intended to be shipped out en masse to the known galaxy and force its populace into submission.
- "The might of the Final Order will soon be ready. It will be yours if you do as I ask."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Kylo Ren
The Xyston-class Star Destroyers were created some time before 35 ABY and were informed by the First Order Mandator IV-class dreadnought. They comprised the Sith Eternal fleet stationed on Exegol. When Supreme Leader Kylo Ren arrived on Exegol and met with Darth Sidious, the Sith Lord raised his entire fleet from the planet surface and offered Kylo Ren the chance to rule the galaxy under the perpetual reign of a new Sith Empire.
Following the duel on Kef Bir and Kylo Ren's subsequent return to the light side of the Force, Sidious ordered Allegiant General Enric Pryde to dispatch a Star Destroyer to Kijimi to destroy it as a show of the Final Order's might. The Star Destroyer Derriphan was sent and destroyed the planet with ease. Eventually, the entire armada of Star Destroyers was destroyed during the pivotal Battle of Exegol, as the Resistance discovered the Star Destroyer's weakness, being the ability to destroy the entire vessel by targeting the axial superlaser, which resulted in the destruction of the entire fleet, and the Final Order.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Xyston-class first appeared in Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker.
A xyston (Greek ξυστόν) was a type of spear used in Ancient Greece.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide (First identified as Sith Star Destroyer)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Xyston-class Star Destroyer)
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)