- "Yer little friend is kind of agitated."
- ―A Ychthytonian, on R2-D2
The Ychthytonians were a sentient species of four-armed beings native to the Ychthyton system. They were part of the galactic community by 0 ABY and were part of the New Republic by 14 ABY. One notable Ychthytonian was the bartender Bômlas, who worked in the asteroid belt Smuggler's Run, a hideout for hundreds of smugglers.
Biology and appearanceEdit
- "Got a special order for, get this, Ychthytonian tunics! I'd never heard of them. But I found someone who has a pattern, and I need you to get it."
- ―A buyer of Ychthytonian tunics, to a spacer
The Ychthytonians were native to the Ychthyton system, located in the Belderone sector of the Outer Rim Territories. They were participants in the galactic community by 0 ABY and were part of the New Republic in 14 ABY. Following the Battle of Yavin, a buyer put in a special order for Ychthytonian tunics.
The individual had never heard of them before, but they found someone who had a pattern, and contracted the services of a spacer to receive the delivery in exchange for credits. Because of the Ychthytonian's four arms, the tunics made excellent tablecloths. After receiving the Ychthytonian tunic pattern, the buyer remarked that the tunic could even cover a table's legs, which the purchaser deemed as "overkill."
When Leia Organa Solo resigned from her position as Chief of State of the Republic due to allegations that her husband, the smuggler-turned-general Han Solo, had been somehow involved in the Senate bombing that occurred that year, her role was filled by Mon Mothma. A male Ychthytonian was among the well-wishers, senator's aides, and employment seekers that gathered in Mothma's anteroom to offer their congratulations. Also in the room at the time were the droids C-3PO and R2-D2, who believed they had uncovered the source of the bombing. The latter concealed himself behind the Ychthytonian from a Kloperian guard he had encountered earlier. When C-3PO almost announced their findings to all present in the waiting room, R2-D2 screeched to get him to stop, causing the Ychthytonian to use all four hands to cover his ears in discomfort. When R2-D2 then fled the anteroom, the Ychthytonian pointed the protocol droid in the direction of his missing counter-part.
Ychthytonians in the galaxyEdit
Some Ychthytonians found work in the galaxy as bartenders, taking advantage of their four arms to deliver drinks quickly. In 0 ABY, a Ychthytonian worked as a bartender in Kislov's Gambling Palace, located on the planet Tythe. A gloomy individual, he utilized all four hands to serve his patrons their alcohol and caf. Another Ychthytonian bartender was Bômlas. He was infamous for having bet and lost one of his arms in a particularly savage game of sabacc; however he was still the fastest bartender known to Han Solo. In 14 ABY he worked at a bar on Skip One, an asteroid located in Smuggler's Run and frequented by smugglers and other fringers.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Ychthytonians were created by Kristine Kathryn Rusch for her novel The New Rebellion, published in 1995. They received mentions in a number of reference books, and a mention in the 2003 LucasArts–Sony Online Entertainment MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, prior to its closure in 2011. Early in the game's lifespan, dynamically spawned non-player characters could offer a mission titled It's Sew Easy, in which players were tasked with retrieving and delivering a Ychthytonian tunic pattern. However, Ychthytonian's would not appear again until Rebel Force: Renegade, written by Alex Wheeler in 2009.
- Rebel Force: Renegade
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- The New Rebellion (First appearance)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition, Revised and Expanded (Under Bômlas)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 103 (LEI7, Leisure)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 353
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The New Rebellion, chapter 14
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Rebel Force: Renegade, chapter 5
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 The New Rebellion, chapter 33
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia, p. 32
- ↑ The New Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition, Revised and Expanded
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File 103 (LEI7, Leisure)
- ↑ IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STAR WARS GALAXIES. Sony Online Entertainment (2011-06-24). Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2015.
- ↑ Rebel Force: Renegade