Yoda's Hut was the last residence of Yoda, Grand Master of the Jedi Order, during his years of self-imposed exile on Dagobah. Initially, Yoda used the E3-standard starship lifeboat that had brought him to Dagobah as a temporary shelter. However, the lifeboat started to degrade within a year due to the planet's swampy environment, which forced the Jedi to construct a small house for himself. He chose to build it on a knoll at the base of a great gnarltree between a sweet water lagoon and an area where he could gather yarum seeds.
Yoda used pieces of his lifeboat and crafted wattles from gnarltree roots to create his hut, along with mud, stones and bark. With several open windows and two circular entries, he surfaced the interior with smooth, white adobe clay, which made for a clean, attractive, and, most importantly, dry home. He also incorporated the backup power supply from the lifeboat.
The humble hut included a sitting room with a wooden stump for a table and a kitchen area. In the middle of his home, Yoda cooked at a small stove. Behind the stove was a storage area with windowsills covered in drying seeds, berries, and herbs. In the back of the shelter was a sink with running water and Yoda's spice collection, along with a few clay pots and bowls. A sleeping loft hung above with sleeping mats and blankets, though in his final years Yoda slept on the ground level. Tools and keepsakes were kept stored away in a nook. The sitting area made up the rest of the building.
The open doors and windows, due to the hut's proximity to the lagoon, resulted in Yoda being visited by many creatures; he would often find snakes, lizards, butcherbugs, and spiny bograts scampering across the floor. He didn't mind the company, and only swept the venomous ones back outside.
The Grand Master died there in 4 ABY in the presence of his apprentice Luke Skywalker. With the hut vacant, it was reclaimed by the swamp and the many creatures Yoda befriended during his stay. Sometime later, the hut was destroyed by Dagobah's torrential rains.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars LINE Webtoon
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- "There is Another"—From a Certain Point of View
- From a Certain Point of View audiobook
- Star Wars 30
- "The Trial of Dagobah"—Age of Rebellion Special 1
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- "The First Lesson"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! audiobook
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Return of the Jedi Golden Book
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Graphic Novel Adaptation
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Journey Through Space (as Yoda's house)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Yoda's Hut)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- LEGO Star Wars (Set: 4002019 Christmas X-Wing)
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Practical"
- "Battle of Hoth and the Second Death Star" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian: Making of Season Two
- (Picture only)