- "To live without spears. Without war. […] This I can teach you. As my Master once taught me."
A member of the Jedi Order took on Yoda as a Padawan when Yoda was at a young age, more than eight hundred years before the reign of the Galactic Empire. Some years before the Empire's rise, Jedi Master Yoda mentioned his old Master while he was on a mission on a planet in the Vagadarr system, where local human tribes and giants of living stone were at war with each other—also within themselves. Yoda swore to teach them to live in peace, as his Master once taught him.
Yoda's Jedi Master once told Yoda an insightful story about a Jedi named K'ungfu. Centuries later, Yoda, now the last Jedi Master in existence, told his Master's story to Luke Skywalker during the latter's Jedi training on the planet Dagobah in the year 3 ABY.
Behind the scenesEdit
Yoda's Jedi Master was first mentioned, albeit unnamed, in The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?, a canon book for young readers which retells the events of the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. The book was written by Adam Gidwitz and released on September 22, 2015.
Within the Star Wars Legends continuity, however, Yoda's Jedi Master was established as N'Kata Del Gormo, a male Hysalrian Jedi Master, according to an in-universe legend. The character was created by Chuck Hamilton, a Star Wars fan, for the backstory of his Hysalrian entry in the "Design An Alien" contest held in the Star Wars Galaxy Magazine. Hamilton's entry was given an honorable mention in the ninth issue of the magazine, released on October 1, 1996.
- Master & Apprentice (Mentioned only)
- Master & Apprentice audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 30: Yoda's Secret War, Part V (Mentioned only, in flashback)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? (First mentioned, simultaneous with The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook (First mentioned, simultaneous with The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?)