Yoda's lightsaber was the personal lightsaber of Yoda, the last Grand Master of the Jedi High Council. In keeping with its owner's stature, the green-bladed weapon had a shorter-than-average hilt and shorter blade, similar to a shoto.
What made Yoda's lightsaber unique was its scaled-down size. Aside from that particularity, the weapon had a simple design, consisting of a studded chrome handle with black trim and an emitter shroud. It contained a kyber crystal that put forth a bright green plasma blade.
Like many Jedi did for hundreds of years, Yoda built his lightsaber under the aegis of Professor Huyang, an architect droid who had been with the Jedi Order since its nascent days. As a first step, Yoda managed to acquire a kyber crystal from the icy caverns of Ilum, a mission that proved to be very eventful.
In the years of the Clone Wars, the green-bladed saber served its master well on multiple occasions. However, Yoda eventually lost his weapon when he dueled the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious in the Senate Building. When Sidious unleashed bolts of energy to disarm him, the Jedi Master lost his lightsaber, which fell to the ground below.
After the rise of the new Galactic Empire, Grand Vizier Mas Amedda spoke to a gathering of citizens on Coruscant about the end of the Jedi Order and the supposed freedoms that the Empire would bring to the galaxy without the Jedi. He had a collection of lightsabers from fallen Jedi, including Yoda's lightsaber. These lightsabers were burned as part of the public demonstration, and their kyber crystals caused a large explosion of energy during the gathering.
Behind the scenesEdit
Yoda's lightsaber was originally created for the Star Wars Legends 1999 reference book Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary. It later made its first canonical appearance in the 2002 film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones.
The 2016 reference book Star Wars: Complete Locations depicts the lightsaber as being stored in a box in Yoda's Hut by the time of the events of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. However, the 2017 comic Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 1 states that it was destroyed during a celebration of the eradication of the Jedi Order. When asked about this, writer Charles Soule mused that perhaps Yoda built a new one, that he had more than one or that Darth Sidious built a fake to make a point. Lucasfilm Story Group's Matt Martin then stated that they are aware of that but that it isn't an error as Yoda likely had more than a few lightsabers during his lifetime.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second
- William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Master Yoda (★★★★★) (link)) (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Yoda's lightsaber)
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars: Destiny – Spark of Hope (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations