- «Sounds like an interesting person.»
«Yokado? I don't think so. I mean, yes, he's our Patriarch, but aside from that I don't think I've ever heard anyone call him interesting.»
«Not Yokado. This Councilor Lakuviv.»
- ―Haplif and Yoponek discuss Patriarch Yokado
Yokado was a Chiss male who served as Patriarch of the Coduyo family, one of the Forty Great Families of the Chiss Ascendancy. He once met Xodlak'uvi'vil "Lakuviv," a Xodlak family Councilor based on the planet Celwis. The Xodlak and Coduyo were allies and both powerful Great Families, but nonetheless, Lakuviv attempted to publicly manipulate the Coduyo Patriarch for personal gain. Unamused, Yokado told Lakuviv to take a hyperspace leap straight back to Celwis.
The Coduyo mid-ager Coduyo'po'nekri, a Chiss history student with the core name "Yoponek," traveled on a wandering year with his betrothed Yomie and an Agbui named Haplif between 19 BBY and 18 BBY. During that time, Yoponek recounted the anecdote about Yokado and Lakuviv to his companions. Upon hearing of Lakuviv's ambition, Haplif, who was plotting against the Ascendancy, expressed interest in the Councilor. Yoponek mistook Haplif as finding Yokado interesting; the Agbui clarified his interest was in Lakuviv.
Behind the scenes
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good (First mentioned, simultaneous with Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good audiobook) (In flashback(s))
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good audiobook (Mentioned only) (In flashback(s))
Notes and references
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good establishes that Yoponek's travels with Yomie and Haplif take place prior to the main events of the novel and after the battle over Primea, depicted in Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising. Chaos Rising takes place in 19 BBY per the reasoning here. Furthermore, Greater Good establishes that the attack on the Paataatus, which was depicted in Chaos Rising, took place the year prior. Therefore, Greater Good must be set around 18 BBY, and the trio's travels, including Yoponek sharing the anecdote about Yokado, must have occurred between those two years.