Yuvern was an Outer Rim Territories planet located in the Oplovis sector. It was the homeworld of the two-headed, snakelike Yuvernians. One young Yuvernian, Cane Adiss, dreamed of leaving his homeworld and becoming an explorer, and he was eventually taken offworld by the trader Kal'Falnl C'ndros. By 2 ABY, the Yuvernian had become a spice smuggler for the crime lord Jabba the Hutt, whose first assignment took Adiss back to Yuvern. Arriving in-system, the Yuvernian encountered the Imperial Oplovis Sector Fleet. Subsequently, an unexpected Rebel Alliance attack on the fleet prevented Imperial inspectors from discovering Adiss's illegal cargo, and the smuggler was later able to finish his mission to Yuvern.
Description[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Yuvernians, a sentient species native to Yuvern, were already known to the wider galaxy by 6900 BBY. At some point, the Yuvernian male Cane Adiss was born on Yuvern. In his youth, Adiss longed to leave Yuvern and explore the galaxy, but his parental collective admonished him for not paying attention to the matters of his homeworld. By the time Adiss had come of age, Yuvern was visited by the Quor'sav trader Kal'Falnl C'ndros, who took the Yuvernian offworld and taught him to become a pilot. The pair eventually parted ways on the Arkanis sector planet Tatooine, after which Adiss attempted to obtain a loan for a starship from the local Hutt crime lord, Jabba.
The Hutt employed Adiss as a spice smuggler, but to the Yuvernian's dismay, his first assignment, given by 2 ABY, took him back to his homeworld. Upon arriving in the Yuvern system, Adiss discovered that the entire Oplovis Sector Fleet of the Galactic Empire was also present. The smuggler was forced to let Imperial inspectors aboard his ship; however, before Adiss's illegal cargo could be discovered, the Imperial fleet was unexpectedly attacked by a Rebel Alliance battle line. The Imperial officer aboard Adiss's ship then ordered the Yuvernian to regroup with the rest of the retreating fleet at Harrod's Planet. After transporting the Imperials per his orders, Adiss returned to Yuvern and finished his assignment for Jabba.
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "Yuvern was a planet first mentioned in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook; […] The events surrounding Cane's return to Yuvern (as well as Yuvern itself) are from a vignette in the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook about Alliance Intelligence."
- ―John Hazlett
The planet Yuvern was created as part of the backstory for Cane Adiss, a background character appearing in the 1983 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. John Hazlett, writing as "jSarek," submitted an entry for Adiss through the StarWars.com Hyperspace feature "What's The Story?," and it was added to the site's Databank on August 31, 2006.
Addressing the origins of his story's subject matter, Hazlett later erroneously stated that the planet Yuvern was first mentioned in The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, a 1990 West End Games supplement published for use with Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, although only the Yuvern system is mentioned in both the first and second editions of that book. The 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas placed the Yuvern system, and therefore the planet Yuvern, in grid square M-5.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Yuvern system — Based on corresponding data for
- The Essential Atlas — Based on corresponding data for Yuvern system
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side establishes that the Human Dark Jedi Sorzus Syn knew of the Yuvernians by the time the Jedi Exiles arrived in Sith Space in the aftermath of the Hundred-Year Darkness. Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force dates the end of that conflict to 6900 BBY.
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Cane Adiss's first mission in the employ of Jabba the Hutt at the same time as the battle in the Yuvern system. In addition, The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition states that Rebel Alliance General Vernan was still alive eight months after that engagement. Finally, Alliance Intelligence Reports establishes that Vernan had died by the time of the sourcebook's setting. Since Alliance Intelligence Reports represents a collection of in-universe reports from "one year before the Battle of Hoth"—corresponding to 2 ABY per The New Essential Chronology—Adiss must have traveled to Yuvern on behalf of Jabba at some point by 2 ABY. places
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 11 ("Adiss, Cane")
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition