- "Now we will vanquish any who still hold to his ways... who will not serve the Imperial cause! As the Empire rules the galaxy, Droid World is ours to command!"
- ―A Z-X3 unit, inciting rebellion on Kligson's Moon
The Z-X3 was designed to work under extreme planetary conditions even stormtroopers couldn't survive such as radioactive environments and outer space.
It was similar in design to the earlier L8-L9 model developed by TaggeCo during the Clone Wars, though its outer plating was designed to resemble stormtrooper armor. The Z-X3 had no built-in weapons, so it carried a blaster rifle or Briletto AAP-IV blaster box on its chest. It also featured increased agility and maneuverability.
After the Z-X3's rejection by the Empire, two new stormtrooper divisions—the Zero-G "space trooper" and Radiation Zone Assault Trooper, or "Radtrooper"—filled the niches for which the Z-X3 was designed.
Ultimately, the Imperials were not satisfied, and with the defeat of the Separatist Droid Army fresh in the mind of Imperials, the Z-X3 was rejected. However, the model was used as a starting point for the later Dark trooper project.
A small number of Z-X3 droids were sent to Imperial garrisons, but most of the units ended up serving in private installations.
One Z-X3 went on to work as a security officer for the cyborg Kligson on his moon, the Droid World. In 3 ABY, he tried to kill Kligson and take over but killed a decoy instead. He was then destroyed by Kligson.
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare