The Zeuols were a species of sentient, pale-faced beings recognizable for their large, solid-black eyes and coarse, off-white hair. At least some members of the species ventured into the galaxy at large, and at the end of the Clone Wars, the Mid Rim world of Ord Zeuol was represented in the Galactic Senate by a female Zeuol named Eeusu Estornii. Estornii attended the funeral of Padmé Amidala, senator and former queen of the planet Naboo, in 19 BBY.
Biology and appearance
The Zeuols' facial features distinguished them from other sentient species. Set against their pale-white skin, their countenance sported a high brow, a mouth bordered by prominent pink lips, a long nose that ended in two oblong nostrils, and two pronounced ocular ridges. Located at either side of the nose, the eye sockets contained two large, ovular, pitch-black eyes rimmed with pink flesh. Coarse, ropey, off-white hair came from the scalp, growing long enough in some specimens to cascade down the humanoid neck and shoulders. Two humanoid arms extended from the shoulders and ended in white, thin-fingered hands with fingernails that grew long and gray in at least some cases. Adult Zeuols were capable of growing to roughly 1.75 meters tall. The Zeuol species had at least one sex, female.
Society and culture
By the time of the Clone Wars, at least some Zeuols had access to spacefaring technology and were able to visit distant planets. A female Zeuol's personal adornments might have included an elaborate, brocade gown that fell to the floor from a riveted leather collar about the shoulders. Such garb might have been accented with a necklace, hair-tying jewelry, or metallic ornamentation worn between the eyes.
By the end of the Clone Wars in 19 BBY, the Zeuol Senator Eeusu Estornii represented the planet Ord Zeuol in the Republic's Galactic Senate. The planet lay in the Mid Rim's Vilonis sector, near the planet Naboo. Indeed, Estornii was one of thousands of attendees at the funeral of a fellow senator and Naboo's former queen, Padmé Amidala, in 19 BBY.
Behind the scenes
- "One other thing that I'd like to explain is the character Eeusu Estornii -- The character wasn't actually named after me in the usual sense. There were a handful of characters in Revenge of the Sith that didn't have names. The characters were sent around to a group of us and I was given the opportunity to pick a character and name it, which I did. So I rather named the character after myself -- it was nice to be included in the group that got to do this, but it's not like somebody named this character after me (well, I guess I'm somebody...)."
- ―Sue Rostoni
Artists at Industrial Light & Magic created a robed, pale-faced senator to be a background alien for the funeral sequence at the end of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, a film first released in 2005. In scenes shot in Australia on September 16, 2003, the character was portrayed by Jacqui Louez, the assistant to the producer of the film, Rick McCallum, and the director, George Lucas. During filming, Louez's character was referred to as "Senator Jacquito."
The head of Lucasfilm Licensing, Sue Rostoni, gave the character her final name; when she noticed a group of Revenge of the Sith characters who lacked official monikers, she chose to give the pale-faced senator a tuckerization of her own name. The character's species was first identified in the StarWars.com Databank. The spellings of the names of the character and her home planet have varied from source to source. Before it went offline, the Databank called the character "Eesu Estornii," while a 2005 article in Star Wars Insider 85 labels her "Ecusu Estornii." Later sources have consistently spelled the name "Eeusu Estornii," the spelling this article adopts. The Senator's homeworld has been spelled both "Ord Zeoul" and "Ord Zeuol," even in a single source. This article adopts the latter spelling, as it is used in a more recent publication, 2009's The Essential Atlas. The name of the species itself has only appeared in the Databank, where it was spelled "Zeuol." No indication of the plural form appeared, so this article follows standard English pluralization. While the Databank identified Ord Zeuol as Estornii's home planet, no source has explicitly named it as the homeworld of the entire Zeuol species.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars (Picture only)
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- "Long Ago, Far Away: Galaxy Fashion"—Star Wars Insider 85
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Estornii, Eeusu")
- (First identified as Zeuol)
Notes and references
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars, p. 122, shows that the Zeuol female Eeusu Estornii stands at a height normal for members of the Human species; according to The New Essential Guide to Alien Species, p. 81, Humans average 1.75 meters tall.
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars, p. 122
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- The New Essential Chronology, p. 81
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 241 ("Estornii, Eeusu")
- The Essential Atlas, p. 25
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels, p. 331
- The Making of Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, p. 148
- "Long Ago, Far Away: Galaxy Fashion"—Star Wars Insider 85, p. 66
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels, p. 327
- The Essential Atlas, p. 237