- "That thing; it is a Zillo Beast. They once roamed Malastare, devouring our ancestors. When the Dugs first started harvesting the fuel in the planet's core, they were killed off."
- ―Doge Nakha Urus
The Zillo Beast, sometimes referred to simply as "The Beast", was a semi-sentient, reptilian species endemic to the planet Malastare. The Dugs believed this gargantuan creature to be extinct long before 21 BBY; during the Battle of Malastare, however, the last specimen alive was inadvertently unearthed by an electro-proton bomb used by the Galactic Republic.
Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine sought to use the Zillo Beast's indestructible hide to aid the Grand Army of the Republic. Shortly after the creature was brought to Coruscant for study, however, it broke free from its restraints and rampaged through the capital. In the end, the Jedi and Republic army were left with no other choice but to kill the Zillo Beast using a powerful toxin, the same one that had compelled it to ravage Coruscant, but in larger doses. Before the creature was killed, Palpatine ordered it to be cloned.
- "It's here. Their god. Fire!"
"You do understand Zillo Beasts are unbreakable, yes?"
- ―Kylo Ren and Ruthford
The Zillo Beast was a gargantuan serpentlike creature with a lengthy whip-like tail. At 97 meters tall, the Zillo Beast towered over all species on its native planet of Malastare and was considered at the top of its food chain until its presumed extinction. Its tail contained eight sharp spikes, and the beast itself uniquely possessed a third arm protruding from its back.
Its heavy plated armor was invulnerable to explosions, blaster fire, and even lightsaber strikes. Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker discovered that gaps in the creature's armored plates could be exploited to damage or stun the creature. On one such occasion, clone troopers were able to subdue the creature by using RX-200 Falchion-class assault tanks aimed at the gaps in its armor to put the beast to sleep for transport to Coruscant.
While in captivity on Coruscant, Doctor Sionver Boll observed that the creature was possibly sentient. This deduction was reinforced by the creature's behavior towards Supreme Chancellor Palpatine. After breaking out of its containment facility, the creature terrorized the planet in an unsuccessful attempt to kill the Chancellor. It was later killed by poison gas fired by Republic Gunships whilst climbing the Senate building.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Zillo Beast appeared in the episodes "The Zillo Beast" and "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back" from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. Star Wars creator George Lucas felt the Zillo Beast would dislike Palpatine and chase him. Dave Filoni joked with Lucas that the Zillo Beast could sense Palpatine was a Sith Lord, and was actually trying to warn the Coruscanti.
When asked about the Zillo Beast's potential return in Star Wars Rebels following the cancellation of The Clone Wars, Filoni stated during an interview with StarWars.com that a comeback wasn't possible because its scale was too challenging for the production and they had no reason for why the Galactic Empire would clone it. Though he suggested the possibility of introducing a baby specimen rather than a mechanical one, no Zillo Beast appeared in the show before its ending aired in 2018.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back"
- Age of Resistance - Kylo Ren 1
- A Crash of Fate (Head only)
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Dealing with Lando/Han and Chewie Strike Back"
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "Scouting for Leia/A Mission with Maz"
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- ; images #7, 8 (of 18)