- "What are we waiting for?"
- ―Zinn Paulness, in response to a cry to vote on a bill in the Senate
Zinn Paulness was a Human male senator who served the Galactic Senate of the Republic during the Clone Wars. In 21 BBY, he was in the Republic Executive Building when Cad Bane and his posse of bounty hunters raided it and took hostages. He was also present at the Festival of Light in 20 BBY on Naboo.
- "They attack, and now they want peace?"
- ―Zinn Paulness
Zinn Paulness was a senator who served the Galactic Republic Senate during the Clone Wars. He was present during the bounty hunter Cad Bane's raid on the Senate when he and other senators were having a discussion on the Enhanced Privacy Invasion Bill before a Senate meeting. He was held as a hostage under laser-activated bombs, so that Bane could reason with Supreme Chancellor Palpatine for the release of Ziro Desilijic Tiure.
However, Bane went back on his word, and once the Chancellor released Ziro, Bane detonated the bombs regardless. Despite this, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker was able to get Paulness and the other senators out of the hall, cutting a hole in the floor with his lightsaber before the charges went off.
Later on, the Senate called an emergency session to debate the cost of the war. When fellow Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo suggested that the Republic negotiate with the Confederacy of Independent Systems, and was later present during the vote to negotiate with the Separatists. Sadly the vote was stopped due to power failure from a bombing of the Coruscant power generator. Due to this attack, the Senate passed the bill to deregulate the banks so the Republic could increase clone production and rejected the Separatist peace initiative. Zinn even raised his voice to question why were they waiting to vote on the deregulation.
Zinn was also present when a new bill was proposed by Senator Halle Burtoni for an additional five million clone troopers (funded by the Banking Clan). In the end Senator Padmé Amidala's speech swayed the votes and the bill was turned down after an applause by many of his colleagues and Zinn himself.
Behind the scenesEdit
Zinn Paulness's character was based on a design of an Alderaanian aide in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. He was given his first speaking role in the third season episode "Heroes on Both Sides," but although Stephen Stanton was credited as "Senator" in the episode, and though Paulness was the only unspecified role, his voice actor was not properly credited. In the following episode, "Pursuit of Peace," his speaking role was credited to Jason Spisak. The character's name is an anagram of Star Wars: The Clone Wars digital asset supervisor Paul Zinnes.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (Appears in "Newsreel" only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hostage Crisis" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Pursuit of Peace"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- (First identified as Zinn Paulness)