- "I first tasted zoochberries while trading furbogs along the Corellian Run. Through these exchanges I ended up possessing any number of unusual items: hyperdrive attentuators, silicon-pronged tack trim, Sullustan gab-rippers and—you guessed it—more zoochberries than I knew what to do with."
- ―Dexter Jettster in his diner's menu
Zoochberries were a berry used in a variety of dishes, including cobblers, cream, dumplings, juice, pie, and topping. Dishes that used them were edible by Besalisks, Humans, Hutts, and Wookiees. The Besalisk Dexter Jettster consumed zoochberries daily after discovering them, and he later used them in several dishes at his diner on the planet Coruscant. Jettster also served zoochberries as a side for multiple breakfast meals. Other dishes that used zoochberries were eaten throughout the Trioculus affair of 5 ABY. Multiple idioms also involved the berries and the dishes that used them.
- "I ended up eating zoochberries almost daily, and one of my favorite ways to have them was in a fine cobbler such as this one."
- ―Dexter Jettster in his diner's menu
Zoochberries were a type of berry used in various dishes, including deserts. The dishes included zoochberry cobbler, zoochberry cream, zoochberry dumpling, zoochberry juice, zoochberry pie, and zoochberry topping. Dishes using the berries were edible by Besalisks, Humans, Hutts, and Wookiees.
A tasty ingredient…
- "Congratulations Chewie, that was about the best zoochberry pie I've ever had."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to Chewbacca
The Besalisk Dexter Jettster first encountered zoochberries as a trader of furbogs on the Corellian Run hyperlane, where he came into possession of more zoochberries than he could handle. According to Jettster, one furbog was worth ten times its weight in zoochberries, and he found himself consuming the berries almost daily, including in a cobbler. Jettster later opened an eatery named Dex's Diner on the planet Coruscant, where he recounted his discovery of zoochberries in its menu. The diner served zoochberry cobblers as a dessert for 2.7 credits, charging a further three credits to be served with a scoop of denta bean ice cream. Jettster also offered a choice of zoochberries or ettel nuts as a side for the breakfast meals Panna cake and Iktotch toast for one extra credit and served Neuvian sundaes with a choice of Trammistan chocolate or zoochberry topping. The Diner operated until it was destroyed during the first two years of the Galactic Empire's reign, which began in 19 BBY.
During the Trioculus affair of 5 ABY, zoochberry cream was served alongside Whaladon meat in a meeting of the Empire's Central Committee of Grand Moffs on the planet Kessel. After becoming frustrated during the meeting, the newly declared Galactic Emperor Trioculus knocked over a serving flask of zoochberry cream. Some time afterward, the Human Luke Skywalker visited his friend Han Solo at the latter's new sky house on the planet Bespin, where Solo's Wookiee companion Chewbacca used his newfound cooking skills to prepare zoochberry pie. Skywalker subsequently stated that it was the best zoochberry pie he had ever tasted.
…for all purposes
- "Simple as zoochberry pie."
- ―Lando Calrissian
While the Trioculus affair continued, Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina on the planet Tatooine served zoochberry juice. There, the Barabel Tibor suggested that the Hutt Zorba Desilijic Tiure consume a glass of the juice while calming down. Later, Solo hosted a housewarming party at his sky house where he ensured that his guest's zoochberry juice glasses were full in his capacity as host, as there was a significant quantity available. When Solo and his romantic partner, Leia Organa, traveled to Hologram Fun World to be married, they met their friend Lando Calrissian there, who poured glasses of zoochberry juice for each of them. When the couple realized that they needed their birth certificates, which were unavailable, Calrissian expressed through an idiom that getting new copies at the Document Bureau would be as simple as zoochberry pie.
Later, Organa was captured by Zorba and the Imperial Moffs to be forcibly married to Trioculus. While launching a rescue attempt on the Moffship, Solo quipped that finding Organa could turn out like looking for a micro-chip in a field of zoochberries. Zorba later traveled to Scardia Station, home of the imposters of the Prophets of the Dark Side, who hosted a large banquet for the Hutt's arrival, which included zoochberry dumplings. Zorba consumed them hastily, spilling some of the dumplings on the robe of Heingort Giddis, an imposter of the High Prophet Jedgar.
Behind the scenes
Zoochberries were first mentioned in their cream dish form in the 1992 junior novel The Glove of Darth Vader, written by Paul and Hollace Davids. They were first referred to independently of any dishes in 1993's Queen of the Empire, a junior novel also by Paul and Hollace Davids, in the same series as The Glove of Darth Vader.
- The Glove of Darth Vader (First mentioned)
- The Lost City of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Zorba the Hutt's Revenge (Mentioned only)
- Queen of the Empire (Mentioned only)
- Prophets of the Dark Side (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- The Glove of Darth Vader
- Prophets of the Dark Side
- Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
- The Lost City of the Jedi
- The Essential Atlas
- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld establishes that Dex's Diner was destroyed by the Galactic Empire, and The Essential Reader's Companion states that Underworld is set around 18 BBY. Since The New Essential Chronology states that the Empire was formed in 19 BBY, Dex's Diner was destroyed in either 19 BBY or 18 BBY.
- The New Essential Chronology
- Queen of the Empire