- "Zuckuss suggests you don't struggle. The stun net will only tighten."
"You're Zuckuss? As in the bounty hunter?'"
- ―Zuckuss and Han Solo
Zuckuss was an insectoid male Gand findsman who worked as a bounty hunter prior to and during the Galactic Civil War. A skilled tracker who often worked with 4-LOM, Zuckuss had a run-in with Han Solo that left his ship, the Mist Hunter, powered down on a strange planet. He was later among the hunters assembled by Darth Vader to find the Millennium Falcon following the Battle of Hoth, although Boba Fett ultimately earned the bounty by delivering Han Solo to Jabba Desilijic Tiure.
Early life and careerEdit
- "And what's with the stink? The place smells like a bantha pen."
"The gasses remind Zuckuss of his homeworld."
- ―Han Solo and 4-LOM
An insectoid being with compound eyes, Zuckuss was a male Gand born on his species' homeworld of Gand as one of the planet's traditional findsmen. Using the findsmen's mystic traditions, dating back centuries, Zuckuss operated as a tireless tracker until the planet's findsman traditions began dying out. He became one of the first such to leave the planet's thick and toxic atmosphere, and wore a respirator to breathe ammonia while operating in oxygen-rich atmospheres in the wider galaxy. He worked as a bounty hunter on lucrative jobs that made use of his particular talents as a highly sought-after hunter with renowned tracking skills, and he often paired up with 4-LOM on many occasions. Although Zuckuss's uncanny abilities made some uneasy, he and 4-LOM remained a formidable team. They flew aboard the Mist Hunter, which Zuckuss filled with gasses to remind him of his homeworld.
Capturing Beris FordEdit
Zuckuss and 4-LOM captured the small-time criminal Beris Ford, keeping him imprisoned aboard their ship and hoping to use the reward for his capture to pay for tractor beam repairs. Weeks later, the hunters took up a bounty placed by Rekias Nodo on Han Solo, and confronted him at Valtos Space Port. Zuckuss incapacitated the smuggler inside a stun net fired from his snare rifle, and he and 4-LOM loaded Han's cargo into the Mist Hunter, where they imprisoned him along with Ford. Sensing a disturbance in the Force, Zuckuss checked on the stolen cargo only to be attacked by Chewbacca bursting from one of the containers, and was hit with a stun net from his own rifle. Zuckuss was left tied up while the Wookiee rescued Han and Beris, and the scoundrels fled with their cargo back to the Millennium Falcon. However, the hunters pursued, and after a firefight Zuckuss chased the Falcon into space.
Following Solo and Chewbacca to an unidentified planet, Zuckuss again sensed something was wrong, but 4-LOM continued the pursuit through a heavy cloud layer until their ship's systems—and 4-LOM himself—suddenly powered down, forcing them to drop out of the sky and crash-land on a beach. Zuckuss was trapped in the wreckage, and called out to Solo for help in freeing his legs, though slapped stuncuffs on Solo when he was in reach. However, the planet's technology-negating effects caused the cuffs to release Solo, who left Zuckuss in his predicament. After Solo and Chewbacca found an energy projector transmitting an immobilizer beam, Zuckuss attacked them with native spears as they climbed the tall mast. Chewbacca dislodged the projection sphere from the top, causing it to crash on the beach below, which caused mechanical drones to erupt from the sand and attack all three interlopers.
Zukuss, Solo, and Chewbacca climbed the projector to evade the scorpion-droids. The three of them fought the droids until 4-LOM was reactivated. After 4-LOM destroyed several of the scorpion droids, the four made their way to the ocean and swam to the Falcon. Once the Falcon had taken flight, Zuckuss and 4-LOM demanded that Solo fly them to Nodo to collect on Solo's bounty. Han then bumped a lever on the Falcon, causing the ship to plummet back down to the planet below. This caused 4-LOM and Zuckuss to believe the Falcon had flown into another dampening field, and look for a means of escape. When Solo said there were only two Anti-grav chutes aboard, Zuckuss and 4-LOM stunned Solo and Chewbacca. The two of them jumped out of the Falcon, but Zuckuss realized that Solo tricked them again. The two bounty hunters were left on the planet at the mercy of the scorpion-droids.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
- "There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive."
- ―Darth Vader to Zuckuss and five other bounty hunters
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Zuckuss, along with Black Krrsantan, IG-90, Dengar, Chanath Cha, Beebox and C-21 Highsinger, was hired by Darth Vader to find and return Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra, who had been captured by the Rebel Alliance.
After the Battle of Hoth, he was once again hired by Vader, this time to hunt down the Millennium Falcon and capture the passengers alive. However, the passengers were soon found and captured by the Empire on Cloud City, with help from Boba Fett.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Something isn't right. Zuckuss can sense it."
"How many times must I remind you, Zuckuss? I deal with facts, not superstitious flim-flam."
- ―Zuckuss and 4-LOM
Zuckuss was a tireless tracker with uncanny abilities that made him a lucrative bounty hunter. Possessing a sixth sense, he claimed he could feel disturbances in the Force, which his partner 4-LOM dismissed as superstitious mumbo-jumbo. Testing by the Inquisitorius revealed that Zuckuss did not, in fact, have a high level of sensitivity to the Force, but that something else was at play. Zuckuss spoke about himself in the third person. Zuckuss was also a Laromun'rac follower, a denomination of faith native to the Osia'Kru Brume lowlands.
- "The snare rifle? Where is it? Where is… it?"
Zuckuss wore a gas mask respirator connected to breather packs to breathe ammonia in oxygen-rich atmospheres. He wore heavy battle armor under his beige findsman body cloak, and armed himself with a GRS-1 snare rifle. He and 4-LOM flew the Mist Hunter, and sought tractor beam repairs.
Behind the scenesEdit
Zuckuss first appeared in the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, where he was played by actress Cathy Munro. Designed by concept artists Ralph McQuarrie and John Mollo, Zuckuss' mask was crafted by Stuart Freeborn, while the mask's eyes were covered with bubble wrap packing material.
In the fourth draft of The Empire Strikes Back screenplay, Zuckuss, then named "Tuckuss", was described, along with Dengar as a battle-scarred mangy human type. Only Dengar remained human in the final cut of the film. Both his original name and appearance were featured in Donald F. Glut's novelization.
Zuckuss' costume, along with the full-head mask, included cylinders filled with colored water, which Munroe required an assistant to put on and remove. Munroe described the costume as both hot and restrictive. Between takes, Munroe was supplied a chair on set if she needed to rest. The mask restricted her vision so that she could only see directly in front of her and included a tube into which Monroe could blow air to create bubbles in one of the water-filled cylinders on the chest of the costume.
- "Hunter vs Hunted"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2018
- "Powered Down, Part I"—Star Wars Adventures 10
- "Powered Down, Part II"—Star Wars Adventures 11
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Darth Vader 16
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Boba Fett - The Bounty Hunter"
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: New Edition
- Allies and Adversaries
- Star Wars: Destiny – Spark of Hope (Card: Zuckuss—The Uncanny One)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Hunter vs Hunted"—Star Wars Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2018
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 "Powered Down, Part I"—Star Wars Adventures 10
- ↑ "Powered Down, Part II"—Star Wars Adventures 11
- ↑ Darth Vader 16
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- ↑ Allies and Adversaries
- ↑ Interview with Catherine Munroe on StarWarsAficionado.Com
- ↑ Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back novel
- ↑ Cathy Munroe interview on Star Wars Interviews